Author Topic: Gun Mounted Lights  (Read 19651 times)

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
Gun Mounted Lights
« on: July 12, 2007, 08:39:10 AM »
So...

Now that we will soon be able to use them, suggestions on a good gun-mounted light?  Preferably something that doesn't have a battery pack to carry.  I have a Lightforce handheld that I like for scanning, but I don't want to carry 2 battery packs.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 09:39:20 AM »
that is going to be a hard one.  most gun mounted lights are designed so that they are not to heavy so the batt is sperate.  I have a nitelight that I plug the gun mounted light into so I only carry one batt.  I doubt that you will find one short of mounting a mini mag or a surfire light right on the gun.  I know the shurfire lights they use out in texas a good bit because they are one inch round on the outside so it fits a weaver scope mount.  they then mount it on some mount on the gun.  there is a pressure switch on the back of the light so you shoulder the gun and press the light switch.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

tom p

Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 11:35:14 AM »
paul nite light makes a great scope light.  ive had 1 for years---you can get 1 that plugs into your nite light hot lite.  what ive done with mine is use a 4 c--battery holder from radio shack that i tape 2 the gun stock  i also wired in an on-off switch that is taped near the tigger guard.  ill probably have my gun rigged up 4 the picnic.   hope thgis helps

longhair

Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 12:00:30 PM »
Hey guys, ain't these set ups kinda heavy ? Geeeeesh, if you put three d cell energizer batteries on your gun------well that would be like toting a 50 cal around. What we need is some technical wizard to invent a LED lite weight light. Everything contained in the light itself including the battery. I got the optronics 350. It's the wires and battery that's a pain. But then again, I carry everything on my quad so it's really not a big deal. 8)

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 12:31:10 PM »
I use the nite lite for fox hunting.  Battery pack on a belt and the light on my hat.  Nite lit e has a nice light weight gun mounted light that plugs into the battery pack.  For me this won't be much more than I was already carrying.

I have the older heavier model, but my Brother has the wizard and really likes it.  

http://www.huntsmart.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/displayleaf/sid/12114311192249477184468/lh/h-0,c-87,l-3320/pos/11

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:47:39 PM »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

BP

Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 06:53:33 PM »
2 million candlepower, LEDs, 50 hours on one charge, and only $10.
I'm buying one, adapting the swivel handle to mount on the gun. I will cut off the battery housing, mount a switch on the gun, put the battery in my pocket or on my belt. For $10, I just gotta see it!

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332693_200332693

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 10:13:13 PM »
Tom (and anyone else interested),

If people with setups would bring them to the picnic to show others, that would really help those of us who never used a GML before.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 10:37:32 PM »
Paul... save yourself a lot of headaches down the road and get yourself a NiteLite set up... head mounted light and gun light... one battery that you can wear on a belt or carry in your pocket to run both lights...

I got a spare light and a spare battery, and use them ahhhh, never except to switch off and give them a little exercise... one charged 6 volt battery will last you all night for both lights...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 10:54:40 PM »
does anyone remember the name of the guy at the Randy Anderson seminar from up state that was set up to the left, right outside the side door that had the Nite Lites and other stuff... the name Hunlock creek sticks in my mind, I think that's where he's from...

he also tanned hides etc... I've lost him from my favorites list...

sure would like to get with him again about some tanning work...

plus he had exceptional prices on nite lite stuff...

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 11:09:34 PM »
OK, I see Optronics has some lights that seem easy to use, although they have several different ones.

I also hear a few people mention Nite Light.  I have a Hot-Lite Pro.  Which scope light would I need to be compatible with that same battery pack?

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 12:06:13 AM »
Quote from: "paul555"
OK, I see Optronics has some lights that seem easy to use, although they have several different ones.

I also hear a few people mention Nite Light.  I have a Hot-Lite Pro.  Which scope light would I need to be compatible with that same battery pack?

I had an Optronics 250 that I found to be to bright for close in work, under 100 yards... the fox were blinking all the time cause the light was to intense...

NiteLite has a gun light that'll plug right into the charger port of your HotLite pro... haven't seen it on Huntsmart site lately but you can give them a call and they'll be able to hook you up... I'm thinking the number for it is NLSL6... it is a sweet unit, sits low on the scope, doesn't weigh much, mounts securely and uses the same bulbs as your current light...

Offline gdragon

• Junior Forum Member
Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 03:24:47 AM »
NLSL6 is the correct code for it. I don't think they list the red/amber covers for it but they do have them, you just have to ask. The NLSL6 isn't pictured on the site but it is identical to the one shown in the background with the Wizard setup.

If you search www.huntsmart.com for 'scope light' it comes up on the second page.

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 05:40:11 AM »
Quote from: "Buckwheat"
I would just like to say, is this not great just to be able to have this discussion.

YES!!  A huge thank you to you and everyone else that put many hours in getting this passed.   I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas, can't wait for the season to get here.

longhair

Gun Mounted Lights
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 11:21:08 AM »
The one other thing that I really like about optronics is that the light has ajustment knobs so that you can ajust the beam to your scope. Although if you are using this within 100 yards then this would really be quite bright. One thing is for sure, I'm gonna find out come sept. 3rd !!!!!! 8)

TJ, I'm with ya buddy !!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D