Author Topic: ice fishin.  (Read 13011 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
ice fishin.
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:45:08 AM »
anyone get out on the hardwater?  I am thinkin bout heading out on sunday somewhere to drill a few holes and try for some feesh.  anyone interested in the cumberland york adams area of a get together at michaux state forest 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: ice fishin.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »
Just got back from a weekend fishing trip.Started out at Erie fishing for perch.Brutal conditions on Saturday with 35 mph winds and blinding snow.3 1/2 inches of ice and tons of bait fish.You could see the shad swimming in the holes.Made for slow fishing but still caught a few nice perch.They had a boat on the bay in the afternoon busting up the ice to make way for an incoming freighter so we headed south to Lake Arthur for Sunday morning.Lots of bluegill and perch caught but mostly on the small side.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 01:25:21 PM »
thats a long haul just for perch.  ever fish marburg?  I can tell ya I have always fished ice for trout.  never fished for panfish on the ice.  it seems like it would be more action then trout.  any info or advice would be appreciated.  and I am game to head anywhere and fish that is within reasonable distance from carlisle. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:55:01 PM »
I have not ice fished Marburg but would like to try sometime.I fish it alot in the summer.Not sure what the conditions are down there.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 03:58:31 PM »
IDK where to look for conditions down there.  I wonder if a local bait shop down there would have reports?

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:58:08 PM »
might be far for you but you can always fish at my place.  we fished there today and had a great time. caught over 120 between the 3 of us.  if you ever want to travel up this way let me know.   ice is anywhere from 8 to 10 inches. 

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »
for ice conditions the best spot to check is iceshanty.com

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 05:06:58 PM »
if i could get a free weekend, what members would be intrested in a ice fishing day at our cabin.  we are in wyoming co. about 15 minutes away from tunkhannock. 

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »
I have purchased all of this ice fishing equipment over the years on Clearance but never really gave it a REALISTIC try...Tried when I was a kid at one of the local reservoirs in NEPA.  However we truly didn't know what we were doing..

If you all want to know about Marburg..There is a baitshop that is about 5 minutes away from park. It's open Sundays mornings too early.  I know I have talked to a few fisherperson down here and they told me to fish Marburg where the canoe cove is or park where the small bridges go over the park...Main road going into the park from Hanover.. the name of the bait shop is B & B Lures. Let see what did they catch there..Pan Fish, Northerns and some Walleye...

http://www.manta.com/c/mm0866b/b-b-lures
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:08:42 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »
Sounds like a great time Scott, but I want to be honest theres only 3 things that ever happened to me while ice fishing...getting cold, hungry, and usually 3 sheets to the wind to whichever tasty beverage I brought along in the sled...i've only got on perch and trout a few times in tioga county, and while that was fun...I just don't get too excited about it...probably because I haven't caught anything with size...and the stuff I enjoy the most is at the exact opposite of the spectrum...hot nights, big bait, in a boat...chasing monsters...tip ups are def the way I prefered it...like trapping for fish, and you can bs with your friends untill you see a flag...I bought all the jigging equipment, and that was obviously a waste haha...anyone want to buy 2 jigging rods, some jigs, ice remover, and a rod stand? I honestly would do it everynow and again, maybe with some of leglifter's wine...but sorry I couldn't make a trip out of it...I hope you guys have fun though! When you get the gaff out, don't horse'm!!!
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 06:24:17 AM »
couple of different ways to fish them, we move until we find them we don't even take tip ups on the ice.  we fish just for panfish and usually catch a lot of nice ones, a lot of fun on light tackle.  you can also set up tip ups for bass and pick if that is your game.  we have have some really big bass and pickerel in the lake.  biggest bass i saw was 10 3/4. 

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 07:05:55 AM »
scott asks-
what members would be intrested in a ice fishing day
Im interested.
Never did it. Like to give it a shot.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 07:46:38 AM »
I would be game but thats a long haul.  maybe I can run up to herns and catch a ride the rest of the way up?  I got rods and tipups hern.  your more then welcome to use em. 

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 12:15:58 PM »
Put BB and Hern side by side and that ice better be thick!!! :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »
Never been ice fishing.  So some guys out on the ice last saturday on Ontonlaunee.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff