Author Topic: ice fishin.  (Read 13009 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: ice fishin.
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 07:34:20 PM »
 The ice fishing for trout has been slow but the stock truck makes its rounds in a couple of weeks.For panfish in this area lighter is better, 2 pound line or lighter,micro jigs and wax worms.I have used spikes mealworms and even dug some grubs out of the wood pile.As far as commercial bait I would go with wax worms but they sure loved those grubs out of the wood pile.It varies for different bodies of water though.On lake Erie they wouldn't look at anything other than a jigging spoon tipped with a minnow or grub.
  The vexilar is a great tool that teaches you how to fish.You can watch your bait and see how the fish react to your bait.I've had one for 20 some years and it works great.They make transducers that you can mount to your boat or shoot thru an aluminum hull.The youngsters sure like watching the vexilar.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 11:23:22 AM »
I am really hoping that this lowrance flasher is in good shape that we have.  I want to go down and dig around tonight to see if I can use it.  I seen another person using a vex on the ice at laurel and yes it would be nice to see where fish are and how they react to my bait. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »
well the lowrance flasher looks and appears to work.  I need to do some cleaning out inside and then time to fish.   ;D
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:58:03 PM by bigben »

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »
when we were fishing this past weekend i we were fishing in 6ft of water but i was catching most of my fish 1 foot under the ice.  love the vex, would have never know they were there without it. 

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 07:26:32 AM »
Scott, I can be there on the 12th.
I need details, where, when and directions. PM the details me.
BigBen, you ride'n with me?

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 07:35:49 AM »
Hern I will be up at george b stevenson resivior that weekend fishing.  I figured you had something else going on that weekend that you couldn't go.  I might be able to squeak out and drive over but doubt it. 

scott do you have a lil better address to get directions for? 

I did get out on sunday afternoon at my local fish and game ponds.  fished the small pond for a bit and caught a few dink bass but not much action.  jumped over to the bigger pond and drilled a few holes.  found the deepest one and started jiggin with a kastmaster and a dropper jig about 3" below tipped with a mealworm.  got the flasher out and messed with it and kept upin the sensitivity on it till I could see the jig.  I was about a foot off the bottom when I seen the gap between my lure and bottom dissapear and felt a jerk on the ultralight.  caught three bass and three decent sized gills then I had to go.  but tickled pink that it works and works good enough to see my jig.  I was fishing 6fow but they were more active around 4ft down. 

gonna make one of these with a 7gallon bucket and the flasher unit. 

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 08:31:44 AM »
Scott, I can be there on the 12th.
I need details, where, when and directions. PM the details me.
BigBen, you ride'n with me?

i would say the best bet would be if you guys want to meet somewhere by my house and then i will drive from there.  it takes me about an hour to get to the cabin.   my house is very close to rte 11 and fairly close to 81. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 08:54:26 AM »
almost forgot last fridays catch.   ;D

Renny

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 10:11:01 AM »
I think thats the same day as the fur sale in Tunkhannock....

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 10:30:35 AM »
cabin is about 15 minutes away from Tunkhannock.

uncle buck

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »
Ben the PGL at Franklintown, York, County and the PGL near Roundtop have also nice ponds on them.. I have caught some nice bass from both of these ponds.. The one near Round Top is called Pickerel Pond..Just in case your looking for smaller ponds to fish on...

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »
problem with most pgl ponds is others are hitting them already or they are in propogation areas and you cannot fish them right now.  to tell ya the truth I am pretty happy with the results I had sunday at the local fish and game ponds.  10mins and I can be fishing.  plus I know I will catch fish at those ponds.  I do want to hit pinchot on sat morn but not sure what this weather will do to the ice conditions. 

uncle buck

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 03:16:57 PM »
Also you could probably drill into the same holes on the club ponds you used before that you caught fish out of??? 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 03:19:56 PM »
I could but for some reason my auger don't like doing that.  I can drill a new hole right beside the old hole twice as quick for some reason.  I guess because the stuff in the hole is good hard ice that never thawed and refroze.