Author Topic: Semi-autos for hunting predators / varmints?  (Read 31806 times)

Offline Gamegetter

• http://www.pafoa.org/
Semi-autos for hunting predators / varmints?
« on: December 10, 2009, 07:32:28 AM »
I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were with using semi-auto firearms to hunt predators and varmints? Not Deer or large game, or birds! mainly coyotes, fox, and groundhogs ect.........?
3%er (PAFOA)

Offline lone howler

Re: Semi-autos for hunting predators / varmints?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »
I had the same thoughts. I would love to make my next predator rifle one of the new Remington semi auto .223s R-15.   But i would think the PGC won't consider it as they think people will just start "blasting" away at things.

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »
it would be great if it was legal to use  my ar-15 for coyotes in pa, sign me up, how do we get it done??
district #1

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:35:25 AM »
I had the same thoughts. I would love to make my next predator rifle one of the new Remington semi auto .223s R-15.   But i would think the PGC won't consider it as they think people will just start "blasting" away at things.
They would be right. I have a "Black Rifle", I cannot shoot it at the local Sportmans Club. This courtesy of those few who can never be satisfied with doing things the right way..That is why we have so much posted property, a thank-you for that individual with no common sense who shot the guys cat, drove in his field, left the gate open, dumped his trash, shot in the safety zone, etc....Can you imagine the field day the anti's would have if they were legalized and some idiot was caught acting poorly..most people associate this type of firearm with the military and not sport hunting...camo clad individuals jumping out of vehicles with "machine guns" just like the 6 o'clock news..and right or wrong some farmers might not allow them on their land..jmo

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:31:23 PM »
AR's for hunting predators? Wow would like to use one.a 223..However when it comes down to it...99% of the time you only get one shot at night time be it with a rifle or a shotgun..My single shot Encores are outstanding predators guns. Um been using a 10 gauge singel shot this year too....However daytime hunting out of state or even in Pa that might be nice to have a 2nd shot available?

I would not even mind if they said:  Pa Hunters you can use an AR or semiatutomatic but only during day light hours...

Offline DaveyC

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »
I have a petition up and running at www.ipetitions.com/petition/semi-riflesinpa

Offline Deerhtr

• Junior Forum Member
  • Critters Taste Good
    • Gary's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:40:21 AM »
I signed this Petition and would like to see it changed even just for Predator Hunters.

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:14:51 AM »
I am opposed to semi's for predator hunting in Pa.  I think it is overkill and not neccessary.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
I think semi-autos should be legal just the same as cross bows are legal. If the individual using a semi is blasting around at anything his priviledge to hunt should be revoked. No matter what weapon said individual has, he won't use it safely or properly. Having an AR 223 to hunt predators here in pa is a dream and will probably remain a dream. Hunting fox and coyote is different than deer, and when you call in the day time a fast follow up second shot can put a 2nd coyote on the ground. If the PGC allows them, I just might treat this whole club to a shrimp party! 

Offline Deerhtr

• Junior Forum Member
  • Critters Taste Good
    • Gary's Home Page
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
I agree, it should be a matter of choice and for Predator Hunting only. I shouldn't have to travel out of state to use a firearm of my "choice"  IMO

Claybird

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 02:05:50 PM »
feer the govrment that feers your semi
wat makes a gun overkill in a sport of overkill

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »
feer the govrment that feers your semi
wat makes a gun overkill in a sport of overkill

I respect you opinion to want to use a different weapon that what I use...  but did you get an email or letter from the PGC or State or Fed. gov't about them not wanting semi's for pred hunting in Pa?  Did they give a reason for being fearful?

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 02:33:49 PM »
I agree, it should be a matter of choice and for Predator Hunting only. I shouldn't have to travel out of state to use a firearm of my "choice"  IMO

If it should be a matter of choice... why only pred hunters?  Why not deer and bear hunters as well?  Shouldn't they have a choice?

I'm not trying to be ignorant, just would like to hear more reasoning as to why somebody wants all this fire power for a 10 lb fox or a 40 lb coyote.

Offline Deerhtr

• Junior Forum Member
  • Critters Taste Good
    • Gary's Home Page
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 03:00:19 PM »
I say yes to Deer and Bear as long as they are not in use during a drive.

Offline Team Howler

• Junior Forum Member
    • Lycoming Fence Company LLC (Personal Business)
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »
We are already approved to use semi shotguns. Why not rifles? Every other state your allowed to use semi rifles. Why does pa always have to the last to change its hunting laws. Pa is behind the times. We have hunters that are afraid of change. Though some of you may not think its necessary, I do believe it's our right to have this option.
Hunt safely!
District 3
Matt Brown
Arsenal: Savage Model 12 22-250, Tikka T3 lite Stainless .233, Ruger model 77 mark II .243, Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25/06
Tools
FoxPro Firestorm w/ Fox Jack, Kill Light 250 and 100, Various Hand Calls