Author Topic: Semi-autos for hunting predators / varmints?  (Read 31592 times)

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
Re: Semi-autos for hunting predators / varmints?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »
I don't know if all states besides Pa allow semi rifles or not, I would think not all allow it though. 

The PGC considers hunting a priveledge not a right so I don't know what they would say to that??

Like I said, I'm not really arguing just trying to figure out why so many people want all the fire power for such small game, I just don't understand?

Offline Team Howler

• Junior Forum Member
    • Lycoming Fence Company LLC (Personal Business)
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
bootmud, I should have said most states. Misinformative on my part. Sorry! The PGC is twisted in some of there ideas. It seems like the pa legislature is stepping in lately to change some of these laws that have been in place for to long. Such as the license change that just taken place. I'm not trying to step on toes, it's just something I would like to see change. The firepower hasent changed its still common varmint loads. Just how quick you can get the next round off. :) I believe this will be a hot topic in the near future. I look forward to seeing the opinions of both sides. Thanks bootmud for your opinion. I respect it!
Hunt safely!
District 3
Matt Brown
Arsenal: Savage Model 12 22-250, Tikka T3 lite Stainless .233, Ruger model 77 mark II .243, Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25/06
Tools
FoxPro Firestorm w/ Fox Jack, Kill Light 250 and 100, Various Hand Calls

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 06:52:02 AM »
Team Howler,

I generally accept change very well but it's just difficult for me to picture the Pa woods with hunters toting AR style rifles.  I certainly don't want to be the guy to say one weapon is best for all hunters, I don't want that done to me so I guess I'll just say... Good luck in your pursuit to legalize semi's...  To each their own.  :) 

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 08:22:04 AM »
To many hunters to use semi- for deer or bear. To dangerous

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 08:44:51 AM »
its not the type of gun that makes hunting more or less dangerous its the person behind it, guns dont kill , the person using it does. Someone whos unsafe with a semi is gonna be just as unsafe with a bolt or lever or single shot, i dont want to use my ar to just go out and spray lead all over the woods, if that was the case i can do that now at any number of places and still be safe with backstops etc
district #1

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »
The PGC considers hunting a priveledge not a right

This is one area where I disagree with the PGC. The animals are God's animals. Not the states or the governments. They were created for man to use for food and clothing. Hunting, trapping, or fishing are simply ways to use what God has created for our own good. Wasteful killing whether its of deer for antlers or any other animals for whatever reason is a violation of man's responsability to 'have dominion' over the animals.   Since predators are man's competition in the food chain, should we not control them the best method possible? Using an AR would increase the chances to get that second coyote or fox. 

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 11:51:22 AM »
The right for man to hunt, trap, etc should be revoked when abused.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
The PGC considers hunting a priveledge not a right

This is one area where I disagree with the PGC. The animals are God's animals. Not the states or the governments. They were created for man to use for food and clothing. Hunting, trapping, or fishing are simply ways to use what God has created for our own good. Wasteful killing whether its of deer for antlers or any other animals for whatever reason is a violation of man's responsability to 'have dominion' over the animals.   Since predators are man's competition in the food chain, should we not control them the best method possible? Using an AR would increase the chances to get that second coyote or fox.

We don't really have competition for food except from each other.  Maybe back in the 1800's.  I'm guessing that predator hunters are roughly ten percent or less of the hunting population and hunters represent  ten percent of the population.  So to say we want semi's for just predator hunters does nothing for hunting and even less for predator hunters as we are a very small minority grouping.  Dare I say may even hurt us becuse it makes us look like a selfish elite group.  You would have better luck and response addressing semis for the entire hunting/shooting environment.  This takes organization and communication with other associations/clubs/groups/politicians within the industry.

I like to see discussion on issues like this as it gives me insight on what others like my self think.  I for one however, do not see the need for Semi's to hunt with.  Thanks to all for keeping the discussion civil. 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 03:28:12 PM »
I could imagine the harm that could be caused by the use of semis for hunting.Someone misses their first shot and in the heat of the moment rattles off the remaining clip in hopes of getting the escaping critter.Who knows were the bullets are flying especially at night.

Claybird

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »
We are already approved to use semi shotguns. Why not rifles? Every other state your allowed to use semi rifles. Why does pa always have to the last to change its hunting laws. Pa is behind the times. We have hunters that are afraid of change. Though some of you may not think its necessary, I do believe it's our right to have this option.

bingobongo
a rifles acton is not firepower

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »
To DANGEROUS. To populated for semis. Some bullets go 5 miles. Shotguns only go in yards. Against.

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »
We are already approved to use semi shotguns. Why not rifles? Every other state your allowed to use semi rifles. Why does pa always have to the last to change its hunting laws. Pa is behind the times. We have hunters that are afraid of change. Though some of you may not think its necessary, I do believe it's our right to have this option.

bingobongo

fire·pow·er (frpour)
1. The capacity, as of a weapon, weapons system, military unit, or position, for delivering fire.

Sounds like a perfect description to me. ;)

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 06:02:36 PM »

bingobongo

Wow you typing has really improved! Flowin like a Faucet

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 06:51:29 PM »
Only Rambo wants a semi.

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 08:04:46 PM »
so a 223 from a bolt action travels less distance and is safer than a 223 from a semi auto??? ive heard quicker shootin in the hunting woods than ive ever shot my ar or ak or hk or any other of my semi autos.
district #1