Author Topic: Questions from a new guy  (Read 7118 times)

Offline 82Dead

Questions from a new guy
« on: April 22, 2009, 04:06:36 PM »
The first question is from my curiosity. What does everyone do with the fur bearers they kill?
The second question is about my intentions with fur bearers that I hopefully get. I would like to try to tan some of the furs I get in the upcoming season and make things such as hats from them. Does anyone else tan the furs themselves? If so what methods or products do you use? I have seen a few kits available from different trapping supply companies and wonder if anyone else buys these kits? The one that caught my attention was Rittel E-Z 100 tanning kit. Has anyone else tried this one? I had one fur sent to a tannery in NJ last year and it cost me $13.00 and I am pleased with the tan, I would just like to try it myself to see if I may achieve the same tan for making some things such as the hats or other garments. Any info would be great.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Questions from a new guy
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 09:32:15 PM »
I sell all my fur to a local buyer. I have used the one tanning formula to tan a rabbit and deer hide for fly tying only but not sure what the name of it was. Comes in a orange bottle Not a bad tan but If i was going to make stuff I think I would send it out and have it tanned.
PPHA District 3

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:36:15 AM »
Jeff, was it "trappers hide tanning formula"?
I did a deer, coon, muskrat, and oppossum with that stuff and they all came out stiff

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Bob yea i think that is what it was. Mine where stiff to start with but if you work the hide it does loosen up some but not a lot.
PPHA District 3

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:00:54 PM »
I worked mine pretty good too, but still alittle too stiff for a garment.
The oppossum came out the best because of the thin leather.
I did hear that you have to thin the leather as much as you can to get a softer tan.
A fleshing machine would be nice, but I've heard of guys using a wire wheel.

The first question is from my curiosity. What does everyone do with the fur bearers they kill?
The second question is about my intentions with fur bearers that I hopefully get. I would like to try to tan some of the furs I get in the upcoming season and make things such as hats from them. Does anyone else tan the furs themselves? If so what methods or products do you use? I have seen a few kits available from different trapping supply companies and wonder if anyone else buys these kits? The one that caught my attention was Rittel E-Z 100 tanning kit. Has anyone else tried this one? I had one fur sent to a tannery in NJ last year and it cost me $13.00 and I am pleased with the tan, I would just like to try it myself to see if I may achieve the same tan for making some things such as the hats or other garments. Any info would be great.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I ship my fur to NAFA, put up, to sell at the auction.
The cost of tanning an animal isn't bad, but the shipping will kill ya.
Try vandykes site for some self tanning formulas.

I would love to find one that does a nice garment grade tan.
Let us know how it works when you're done

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 11:39:13 AM »
A idea that may help you some is talk to your local taxidermy since I think the tan they do is alot like a garment tan. It would safe on shipping cost. 

Here is a tanning formula that is suppose to work good but i have not tried it so can't say for sure.

2 lbs of salt.
250 grams of Alun.
100 milligrams of borax.   
2 gallons of water.

-Boil untill everything is melted down.
-Wait untill it cools then add 1 tsp of Sulfuric Acid. Rubber Gloves at this point on!
-Make sure all the skins are submerged in the sollution. Put weight if needed.
-Ready in 4 days.
-hang or stretch to dry. ready in 3 or 4 days. Bend the skins to get it soft.
PPHA District 3

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 03:28:22 PM »
All our fur that is to be tanned and at todays prices a lot of it does goes to New York.  All of the prices are beyond reasonable and its my belief I can get it done there for about the same price as if I try to do it myself.  With less headaches.LOL

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 09:50:04 PM »
WaterFowler,

There is a tannery in Telford, East Coast Tannery, they do all their own work on site.  They are fairly priced.  They do most of work for the taxidermists in the area.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »
Whereabouts is that located I know I usually try to round up all my buddies that want stuff tanned and send at the same time.  Shipping usually adds up to about a buck per hide so it isnt too bad.  Would like to try this other tannery with a few hides to see the difference

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 04:45:44 PM »
East Coast Tannery Inc

www.eastcoasttaxidermy.com

261 W Broad St
Telford, PA 18969-1925
(215) 799-1900
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 06:01:13 PM »
Thanks for the info I will give em a try this fall.

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 11:29:44 PM »
Predators are real trophies to some of us too....So we have the skulls bleached and if you get a coyote in the summer you can get the head mounted.. The snarling coyote will look good hanging over your bed.  Right above the head board on the wall.  You know right where the Mrs. can look up at it as she is laying there with you in bed.  LOL LOL

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 02:32:37 PM »
I know ive bleached some deer skulls.  Are there any problems with doing furbearer skulls being that they might be thinner or weaker.  Anybody know?

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 11:55:14 PM »
Tony, somewhere on here I saw a picture of someones fox skull they had professionally bleached, and it looks really cool...its on the forum somewhere. Someone was asking about who knows someone that bleaches/uses the beatles....
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 11:56:21 PM »
haha it was a few threads below this one 

http://www.ppha.us/smf/index.php?topic=1152.0
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"