Author Topic: looking ahead to next year  (Read 8332 times)

Offline doc holliday

• Junior Forum Member
looking ahead to next year
« on: February 19, 2017, 07:03:38 PM »
With our first trapping season behind us and what a season it was, the only thing we didn't catch was a bobcat. So next year we are going to focus alot of time on them. Recently we have been doing some hiking/scouting and have found a fair amount of cat tracks in what snow is left. So do you guys think those cats will still be in the same area for next season?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: looking ahead to next year
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 08:18:43 PM »
Yep
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »
Congratulations on your first season, doc.
I agree with 'Jake. The Bobcat will still be there.
Next season, before Bobcat comes in, check out the area and determine where you want to set traps.
Then pre-bait those spots. You will have them coming to that location when it's time to set traps. That should increase your odds.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:38:51 PM »
Hey Doc try this....take a bag of sand up to that area and make a potty for them....remember they are cats and soft ground/sand makes for easy covering of their business...you could use cat litter also but sand will last longer.. ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »
Congrats on your first season success. Cats are creatures of habit. They will be there. Hern's advice is good. Give it a try next season.
District 5 coordinator

Offline doc holliday

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »
Thanks foxhound it was a good first season with 3 coons, 3 coyote, 2 red fox, 1 gray fox, 1 fisher, 1 skunk, and countless close ones. There is alot more area around the pan then there is under it. Goose are you serious about sand and should I maybe do that now or wait? This spot is way back in a clear cut.

Offline doc holliday

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 09:03:26 PM »
I will get my daughter started carrying sand. :o :o :o

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 09:08:41 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) I'm serious Doc, a bag of play sand at Lowes is cheap but heavy...get it back there so they can get comfortable using it, but I don't think there is a rush.... late summer would be wise..and yes set traps around it come the season..
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:11:44 PM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 05:20:08 AM »
 :) Great season!  :)  Apparently no one else has the grit to ask you  ::) but would you consider taking an older delinquent with you next year?  ??? He can help you carry the sand and you can help,him catch a FISHER... ;D ;D ;D ...BTW he took Goose's advice and started trapping the Fayetteville Sand Plant and finally caught a Kitty last year ::) ::) ::)...................just sayin........  ;D ;D ;D .............. 8)

Offline doc holliday

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 06:06:17 AM »
Sure, this person is more then welcome to tag along. My daughter would appreciate the help carrying sand.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 07:52:04 AM »
I admire your tenacity but there is no need to carry sand in that far to catch a cat.  If you are on good sign and start pre-baiting one or two weeks prior, you will catch cats!!

It will be much easier on me to carry a fisher out when i am out with you if I don't have to carry a 40 pound bag of sand. ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline doc holliday

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 08:14:21 AM »
I understand and again your welcome to go along. Im sure I have alot more to learn from you then you do me.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 08:21:34 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Lookn4aneasyride will always take the twinkies along :o :o :o :o....so you will have fud.. ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 05:48:10 AM »
 ??? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?  ??? ??? ??? ??? VERY INTERESTING  ::) ::) ::) I reread my post and I don't see where I mentioned anyone by name!!! ;) ;) ;) LOOK who is shouting out again  :P :P :P.....LOL.... 8) PS: Doc stick with your daughter  ;D I was just kidding  ::) you don't need the acting out!!!  :o :o :o :o

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 07:45:42 AM »
40 pounds of twinkies is much lighter than 40 pounds of sand. :o :o :o :o :o
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!