Author Topic: Increased coyote numbers and fox hunting practices  (Read 25032 times)

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Increased coyote numbers and fox hunting practices
« on: March 22, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »
Been mulling this over for a while and wasn't quite sure how to present it.  I will do my best.

It's a widely known fact that increased numbers of coyotes in an area will decrease the fox numbers. So, knowing this, if we are seeing more and more coyotes while in the field,  should we not alter our hunting practices or limit the amount of fox we harvest and just manage the coyote population the best we can? Or is it a no win situation if the coyotes are moving in?? Guess my thinking is, if we are out calling or trapping fox that are also in turn being eliminated by the encroaching coyotes, we are decimating the population even quicker, right?  On the other hand, I guess another viewpoint could be if the coyotes are coming its a done deal and we should harvest what we can while it lasts. There is a lot of focus put on how coyotes effect the deer population, the small game and game bird population and rightly so, but how about their fellow fur bearer the fox? It is already discussed in some circles but thought we could entertain it here. I think of a fellow I know of who lives in Ohio and does a number on coyotes..but he has quite a bit of trouble nailing a fox..why? Because they are being wiped out. I can remember him telling a story of how  surprised he was when he came across a red fox den and some kits playing while he was out hunting groundhogs. Said it had been a long time since he saw that. What are your thoughts?
PPHA President

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Increased coyote numbers and fox hunting practices
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:24:49 PM »
I think that it's only a matter of time before  the coyotes take over and the fox population dwindles.  Other than man,  coyotes have no enemies. 
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 11:06:51 PM »
I seen one fox last year driving down the road and another the year before on a trail cam picture. The fox are gone from my area. Last fox I called in was probably 8-10 years ago, and  the guys that trap around here agree. 
First coyote sign I seen here was about 15 years ago.  Are the coyotes to blame?  Well, when I walk in the woods and see more coyote tracks then deer tracks in the fresh snow, I'd say they have an impact on all the wildlife here including the deer.  Now fishers magically appeared on the property I hunt.... Wonder how they got there???

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 11:52:38 PM »
I was talking to my fur buyer about this.. Was I whacking a farm to much... So I take 12 red fox off the land.  So I start to walk on those same land after the season ends and there are red fox tracks all over the place and in pairs too..  So the furmans response is if they are there you won't hurt them..

What happens is the coyotes actually make the land a red fox ghost town.. They just move on to somewhere else. As the crow flys not more then 2 miles away that predator hunter is getting zero 0 fox and nothing but coyotes.. So looks like his red fox moved over to my farm...

:MY FARMS BETTER THEN YOUR FARM MY FARMS FILLED WITH RED FOX!" "MY FARMS BETTER BECAUSE YOURS GOT COYOTES MY FARMS BETTER THAN YOURS!" Sung to the Kennel Ration Dog Food Commercial.. !!! :)  :)

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 01:46:56 AM »
I seen one fox last year driving down the road and another the year before on a trail cam picture. The fox are gone from my area. Last fox I called in was probably 8-10 years ago, and  the guys that trap around here agree. 
First coyote sign I seen here was about 15 years ago.  Are the coyotes to blame?  Well, when I walk in the woods and see more coyote tracks then deer tracks in the fresh snow, I'd say they have an impact on all the wildlife here including the deer.  Now fishers magically appeared on the property I hunt.... Wonder how they got there???

Fishers are some killing machines...whats worse than a weasel?...a weasel on steroids..AKA a 15lb. fisher..
PPHA President

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 04:58:44 AM »
So are we saying that there are no fox out west, where the coyote rules?

I really don't know the answer to your question, but like so many things that have been going on for thousands of years, the chances of this happening, (fox disappearing), in my lifetime seems extremely unlikely.

They have survived in the past and I would guess they will continue......

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 08:44:54 PM »
So are we saying that there are no fox out west, where the coyote rules?

I really don't know the answer to your question, but like so many things that have been going on for thousands of years, the chances of this happening, (fox disappearing), in my lifetime seems extremely unlikely.

They have survived in the past and I would guess they will continue......

I see you're point...didn't mean disappear altogether but there is definite evidence that in areas that are having increased coyote numbers there is a decrease in normal fox numbers as a result..that is nothing new..my question was in those particular areas should there be a change in how we harvest fox..and by"how we harvest" I mean as hunters ourselves...If you're a furtaker that is having your fox numbers plummet but there is a rise in coyote numbers, would the prudent thing be to target the coyotes and try to alleviate the predation on the fox?? or is it all a waste of time??
PPHA President

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 06:11:59 AM »
...my question was in those particular areas should there be a change in how we harvest fox..and by"how we harvest" I mean as hunters ourselves...If you're a furtaker that is having your fox numbers plummet but there is a rise in coyote numbers, would the prudent thing be to target the coyotes and try to alleviate the predation on the fox??
Confusing situation when Coyotes move into your area.
First off, Fox & Coyote are two different animals to trap and hunt. Fox takers are still trying to kill Coyote using Fox methods. So there is a learning curve on how to work Coyote.
QUATTRO you are talking managing Coyote to co-exist with Red Fox by asking 'if it's prudent to target Coyote to save Fox.'
From my experiences, I would say No. No person in Pennsylvania.
As Coyotes creep into a void area (or your area), you would need an experienced Coyote man working on Coyotes throughout the year. By that, not just fur season, but denning season and late summer early fall. It would be continual work to keep their numbers down. If Coyotes are not in a persons area and they move in, it will take that person time to gain experience to kill Coyotes on a consistent basis. For the most part, time is on the Coyote's side before folks in that area gain knowledge to control Coyote population.
If you are good at trapping and calling Red Fox but Coyotes are moving in...Start learning about Coyote and how to kill them. Coyote population will level off at some point. Reds can be found in high traffic areas, tight to towns, industrial parks or malls as Coyote move in.
Thishere fur harvesting is ongoing learning for we Pennsylvanians.
I never had Beaver, in my area, to trap as a boy. They expanded their territory to my area and I had to learn to trap 'em.
We now have a Cable Restraint season, we learn. PGC now has a season on Bobcat and Fisher plus an upcoming Otter season. We learn.
I don't think you can alter your hunting practice to impact Coyote population. Learn to trap and call Coyote. It's what we have.

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
something those coyotes...As the crow flys, not more then 1 1/2 mile away a trapper/predator caller  you all know catches nothing but coyotes. Me I catch no coyotes but I hammer the red fox...every now and then I do pick a coyote up with the restraint...

Jerry Johnson always tells me that he wished that PPHA would have coyote contest since they, coyotes are hurting the fur trade big time for him...

Wonder if you harassed the heck out of coyotes ... would they leave the area.. Just thinking...

what I have noticed about the area that he gets all the coyotes...a few woodlots but wide open farm land... Wonder if coyotes like to be able to have wide open spaces and a few places to hide?? many of my areas have about the same equal of fields and wood lots...Now I  have called on farms where he gets his and I have called them in to me from the wide open areas.. BUT...it's always after 11:00 PM.. Kind of like when human activity diminishes...

I was reading a computer generated book from a person called DOGBREATH.. he claimed when you call that you should call with cover behind you not an open area.. So when you call from one wood lot to another across a field make sure you have cover behind you....I wish that I had a dollar for every Cumberland county coyote that has used the farmers barns and sheds to come to my calling...Just think how smart that is?

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 06:29:23 AM »
once coyotes take over an area they are going to stay there until the food source runs out.  PA is full of prey animals from birds, mice, to deer and house cats.   Red fox that are in an area are there because of the food source, if you kill the red fox they will replace with other red fox because of the territory.  This is why you can hammer the red fox on a farm because they will replace with others.   Once coyotes move into an area they will run out or kill the reds, usually reds will move to a different area.   

grey fox are family oriented and you can kill a family group and they may not replace for years.  i have a small area where we killed 7 greys in one year and since then i haven't seen a grey there in years.  Greys and coyotes,  I think when the coyotes first came to the area greys would fight them and lose.   I think they have learned to stay away from them. 

Here are my thoughts,  I have farms where i can walk in the the snow and see red fox track, grey fox tracks and some coyote tracks.  but i think man with all these fox track why aren't we calling them in at night, they are here.    i think the fox are getting call shy, not because of us but because if they run into a screaming rabbit they are thinking a coyote may be there not just a human.   i think it is time to change things up alittle bit this year, i have some ideas we are going to try. 

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 07:14:05 AM »
UB states-
he claimed when you call that you should call with cover behind you not an open area..
That's just basis chit right there, Coyote Calling 101
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:19:40 AM by Hern »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 07:38:37 AM »
I think it is time to change things up a little bit this year...
Good reasoning. Some folks fail because they don't make adjustments or changes and simply give up never thinking the next change may equal success.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 10:02:20 AM »
UB states-
he claimed when you call that you should call with cover behind you not an open area..
That's just basis chit right there, Coyote Calling 101

i have a few sets that i stand in an open field and have killed fox and coyotes. 

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »
Scott, me too.
But I always have something behind me even in a distance. Am not standing or sitting on top of slight knoll, rise or razorback being silhouetted.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 06:00:59 PM »
Scott
You made a statement that coyotes leave when the food is gone. I have seen coyotes leave areas when the females have been shot. Another group may come in later and take that area over again. I think the males left to go find another female somewhere.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!