Author Topic: Members Only vs Open forum  (Read 8521 times)

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Members Only vs Open forum
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:21:05 AM »
Why is so much of our forum available to non-members? I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, but i don't visit the forums too much, mainly because it seems that every time I do visit...
1) there is very little activity on it
2) when I scroll to the bottom there might be 1 or 2 members and a dozen guests on line.

It seems since I've been a member since 2010 or so the same handful of names seem to be the only active people on the forums.

Now I don't know anything about the financials of the PPHA, but it seems like we would get more members by making visitors join to view the forum.

My thoughts are why pay for something when you can get it for free? I feel like that is the mentality of the guest users on the forum.

Just a thought that I've been thinking for a long time.

On a side note I'm excited for another season to get rolling and waiting anxiously to see what kind of contests are in store for the coming months!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Members Only vs Open forum
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:13:43 PM »
Hmmmm...did you ever think that by letting non-members view what we do that they may become interested and join, vice building a wall where they can't see what we do??? and the potential of joining is zilch....
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »
I don't believe that is an issue. Predator hunting is one of the fastest growing sports in the country. With the limited amount of information available for eastern predator hunting vs western hunting I think we are selling ourselves short. I think it would be better if we as a club were more oriented to join now and then get access to all this information, plus the hunts/club benefits as apposed to the vast amount of free information we have now.

I think that the online hunts and contests have the most to do with member sign ups. To me the magazine alone isn't much of a reason to be a member, nor is the members only section of the forum.

I'm not looking for fights or online arguments just making a suggestion

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
Carl
Good question and hard to answer. When you have a chat board and want things it takes people to moderate the board and coordinate with other officers to keep things straight.
There is no easy way to moderate when members exspire and new members join with out people doing extra work in there spare time.
I think an open board is just easier to run. People change positions in the club to often to keep up wIth things some times. I think easy thing to get members is to have good events and hunts. Charge none members a fee to atten these funtions. The sports show has been good but takes a lot of volunteers. Is is not to easy some years to get volunteers to man the booth and set up and take down.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 08:35:28 PM »
Ernie, I understand what your saying I think. Time is certainly valuable and free time spent in the field is definitely priceless in my book.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:38:23 AM »
1) there is very little activity on it
2) when I scroll to the bottom there might be 1 or 2 members and a dozen guests on line.

1)Right, we are very small organization.
2)Correct. Before/During the season thesehere message board receives the most hits (when I logged on this morning, 2 members and 16 guest)

...so the same handful of names seem to be the only active people on the forums.
Easy observation for a small club. You have your regular users on every message board.

Now I don't know anything about the financials of the PPHA, but it seems like we would get more members by making visitors join to view the forum.
That's a hard call. If it's free info the lurkers are looking for...there are other message board to find info. They may check several out.
This site has a 'Members Only' page to post. I sometimes post info I want to share with our members and not the general public. (Personally, I think 'members only' page is under used)
Carl, I do see 'guess' visiting as you do. I often thought some could be ex-members checking to see what's happening and gain some insight or just to see if Goose, Jaspr, LL, L4F, BigBen, Buckwheat and others are still around and up to.
I must admit, Carl, I am a lurker on 2 sites. Just read, don't post. 

on a side note and sorry for off topic....
Over the years, I have posted info only to find the same info posted on another site or published in magazine articles (but no credit given to me). Some info was given to first timers and a year or less later I saw where they were posting same info and sounding like an ole hand...lol. So I am careful what I post or place in 'members only' to share not steal.
If someone with half a brain read some message boards, he could certainly place info in order and write an article or book without going into the field or carrying a gun.

My thoughts are why pay for something when you can get it for free? I feel like that is the mentality of the guest users on the forum.
Naw, I can't see paying for a message board. I think the PPHA established this message board for members and guess to share info and promote predator hunting.
Once again, there is a slightly used page for 'members only'.

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:22:09 AM »
I think I'm catching what your throwing. Keep the top secret cutting edge stuff in the members only section.  If that's what your saying I completely agree. I am by no means an expert, but I'd rather share Intel with members and take advise from members rather then some Tom dick or Harry from the general public. I know what you mean, some people talk a good game just from what they read online.
I agree I think the members only section is under used. It should be the most used in my view.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:20:26 PM »
     Carl,

I agree with what your are saying.....why join if I can read everything fro free.  Unfortunately its a balancing act to keep the forums open so people can be interested enough to join.  A great advantage is the members only hunts.  You have to be a member to participate in a PPHA sponsored hunt...and we give some great prizes out!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
I agree completely with that. I really enjoy the opportunity to participate in the hunts. I'm really getting excited for them this year!

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 04:46:41 PM »
Hern said: "I often thought some could be ex-members checking to see what's happening and gain some insight or just to see if Goose, Jaspr, LL, L4F, BigBen, Buckwheat and others are still around and up to."

Agree completely, although I live out here in AZ I believe I was one of the early members and enjoyed reading some of the comments here.  Although I hardly ever post anymore I do check in a couple of times a week.  You never know what Goose is up to and what new product Ernie has for sale, enjoy Ben's fishing stories and Hern's trapping advice. 
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 06:39:52 PM »
Let's not forget being a member has other benefits like the annual picnic.  ITS FREE to members!  All you can eat and drink plus the benefit of all the camp fire stories you just can't experience reading on the boards !l
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
Hern said: "I often thought some could be ex-members checking to see what's happening and gain some insight or just to see if Goose, Jaspr, LL, L4F, BigBen, Buckwheat and others are still around and up to."

Agree completely, although I live out here in AZ I believe I was one of the early members and enjoyed reading some of the comments here.  Although I hardly ever post anymore I do check in a couple of times a week.  You never know what Goose is up to and what new product Ernie has for sale, enjoy Ben's fishing stories and Hern's trapping advice.

I hope you have been doing well john
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 09:53:15 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D CJ be lurking  :o :o :o That's a good thing  ;) ;) ;) I'm waiting for some new weather topic to start  ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 06:44:03 PM »
Heading into the season your going to see more activity and once the season is over there is gonna be a drop again, it goes in cycles thru the year. When you see one user and 6 guest have you ever looked at the IP adresses? Alot of times those IP addresses are just a couple numbers off and are from out of country, mainly India is what i come across when i run the addresses being nosy, those are some of the same addresses that from time to time try to join the forum as viruses or spammers.
The other thing to concider is that 25% of our members dont get on the boards, thats there choice. The open area IMO is to reel in the guys that are really interested in becoming a predator hunter not the guys who go out once or twice and quit.

Carl we are always looking for guys to help out, currently we have a district open that needs a coordinator, care to fill the position to rally the troops?
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 06:56:32 PM »
Hi John
I like your statement that you were one of the early members. That is true and even thought you lived far away you always helped the club. You also donated some nice prizes and help people get out west to hunt deer and coyotes.
It is hard to believe when we can hardly get people close to help out.
Talk later.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!