Author Topic: Coon calling  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Snappertrapper

Coon calling
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:10:57 PM »
How come there's so little about this? Does anyone do it?

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coon calling
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »
Turn on a jackrabbit call as loud as you can stand it. While walking leave the call on and scan the trees for red eyes of a coon. Shoot the coon out of the tree. Coons will come from 100 yards away. By buddy does this and killed 10 the other night in a few hours using this method..

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:45:39 PM »
I think Hern may be a goto guy for coon.

I know there is a griz and grey call that is a hand call supposed to be used to call in coon.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:12:31 PM »
'51, years back, I heard of a few guys in my area that walked around looking for eyes in trees. I never tried it.
snappertrapper, I call Raccoon. It's a blast and fast paced when you are on 'em.
I gave a Coon calling seminar at the PPHA State meet a few years ago. But I don't think it interested many folks. I think most new folks want to call Coyote. If folks would give Coon a try, they will be happy with the action and make alot more money than call'n Coyote. Several times I went Coyote or Fox call'n and stopped to call Coon, only to switch to all Coon call'n stops because it's so darn fun.
Folks are sure missing out on a great furbearer and profitable furbearer.
Here's what I do...so tweek your method to fit your area or style...
#1 be ready when you turn on the caller, BE READY
.22LR or .22 mag
I try for head shots only
Red lens light
Coon puppie sounds (Dennis Kirk's Coon Puppies I, II, III)
10-15 minutes of call'n per stop, then I move to next location

I have area scouted either before the season or in-season scouting. (I was hunting standing Corn last week)
Coon move with available food. Coon move and one must keep a handle on that movement.
It's not uncommon for multiple Coon to respond. Pretty cool to see a Fox's eyes bouncing across a cut bean field, but a hair raise'n experience to see 4 or 5 sets of Coon eyes come'n to the call!
I would like to mention 'tracks'. Coon or Canines tracks. A 'hot' location with have tracks coming and going. By that, a single track is just that. But tracks going in two different directions or four directions!!Bingo!! that's a 'hot' location. Large and small tracks in these hot location shows a family is using this trail.
And I should mention 'droppings'. Coon or Canine droppings. A good location has old and fresh droppings. This shows critters are comfortable and spend some time in this location/area. See what the critters are telling you. Learn to read sign.
All basic Canine call'n do's & don't's apply to Coon call'n.
With a bit of scout'n, a .22, red light and a Coon puppie sound or two, a person can make a few dollars and have a fun with what we do.

I do daytime Coon call'n also. I usually hunt with a partner. One guy calls, one guy shoots.
I daytime call den sites: old barns, old houses and den trees.
No light needed for day time call'n.

Offline Snappertrapper

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »
Thanks Hern! Sounds good. I got a few hand calls that I think might work, gonna find out right after deer season here. Appreciate it

Offline Snappertrapper

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 10:48:52 AM »
I have a call with some coon distress sounds on it, will this work basically the same as coon puppies Mr. Hern? Thanks again

Offline Thirty Cal

• Aim small, miss small!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 03:25:38 PM »
Turn on a jackrabbit call as loud as you can stand it. While walking leave the call on and scan the trees for red eyes of a coon. Shoot the coon out of the tree. Coons will come from 100 yards away. By buddy does this and killed 10 the other night in a few hours using this method..

I'm going to try this here pretty soon! Sounds like fun!
District 2 but will hunt anywhere, even my home state of MD.