Author Topic: shooting distances  (Read 5078 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
shooting distances
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »
What is the average distance that you like to squeeze off the shot at an approaching predator?Average for me is about 40 yards.I know some guys like to take the longer shots with the thinking that there is less chance of being busted, which I agree but you better have good lighting and a good shot.With the long shots you probably will only have one chance,but if you blow it at close range and your on your toes you can probably get a second shot.Any thoughts?

Offline RyanX

• Junior Forum Member
Re: shooting distances
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:23:44 AM »
I like to get them as close as I can before I shoot. First of all I don't have a lot  of experience shooting at night, and I like the adrenaline rush when I get them really close. I mainly used a shotgun last year and most of the foxes I called in where at 40 yards or closer.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »
The average shot on foxes for me would be around 40 yards. When I am calling coyotes, I shoot as soon as I can. Whether its 40 yards or 300 yards. The first shot I get, I take. I hunt with either my 204, 17 fireball, or .223. You need a bright light and a very good scope for the long shots to identify your target.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:52:54 AM »
as soon as they stop and I don't think I can get em in any closer.  for me it is around 40-60yds.  but if they seem to want to come closer I let em. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »
Usually when using mouth calls I keep calling as they approach to help mask any sounds I might make while getting situated for the shot.Sometimes this means a shot at extremely close range,like 8 yards or so. If they show themselves downwind take the shot as soon as possible.

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 11:22:39 AM »
25 or closer seems to be the average for me, however I'm not using a rifle I'm more of a 12 gauge guy. So the closer the better those 3.5" mags will reach out and touch them though. I've shot them at 50 before just prefer them to be closer.

Ryan.
District 4

Offline foxfx

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »
For me, the average shot distance while red lighting fox is about 90 yards.  I use a 223 Remington.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 03:28:35 PM »
My shots vary between 30 and 100 yards on average,  I only use a rifle and prefer to get them as close as they want to come until they reach 30 yards then its lights out.  If they stop under 100 and I don't think they are coming any further i'll shoot them right there as long as I can identify them.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:23:04 PM »
I think the longer your at this game you get more confident and keep trying to stretch the limits.I'll take the close easy shots any day over a long shot but its nice to know you can capitilize on a long shot if need be.

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 04:28:56 PM »
when BigBen say shooot!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »
choot em choot lizabeth.  LOL.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 01:08:18 PM »
The more I think about this topic the more complicated it becomes.Things to think about are the type of calls your using.Loud calls reach out more which is good in some cases but if an animal is approaching or hung up tone it down a little if you like them closer.When hunting alone I think the chances of calling them in close is better than when hunting with a partner.Reasons for this are more scent,more light usually two shining in two different directions,a larger visual target for the critters to pick up on.possibly more noise.I'm not saying that two guys hunting can't call them in close but you really have to have your act together and that usually only happens when both are experienced and have hunted together before and know how to communicate to each other and how they are going to react in certain situations.So what to do if you like to hunt with a partner and your not a confident long shot or have trouble identifying at long range.The easy solution and least expensive would be to hunt alone.But its fun to hunt with others at times so you better be prepared for longer shots.Things needed for shooting longer distances,better optics,9 power minimum.Good lighting,not just illuminating eyes but bodies at long distances.And a flat shooting rifle capable of a lethal shot at long ranges.Also a good gun rest is probably needed because most of us couldn't hit a fox  at 120 yards freehand on a consistant basis.So I quess it boils down to this.What type of hunting do you have where you live.If you live in the mountains with lots of brush the good news is you don't need all this gear but if your a flat lander especially one that hunts with others you better be prepared for the long shots or get use to seeing those eyes just out of range and not being able to identify or make the shot.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 06:11:11 PM »
Right on!  Exactly what I said in another post.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 06:25:46 PM »
Sorry to repeat but I'm glad we agree.Just my observations.