Author Topic: Kill light??  (Read 12504 times)

Offline Whiteknuckle

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Kill light??
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »
bdawg,

I have been using the EWT kill-light XLR100 for scanning and the XLR250 for a shooting light for the past season. I have never had a better combination for predator hunting..

Jeremiah

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »
Im still on the fence about getting one, Right now I use a head lamp and It seems to work pretty well, my biggest thing is I only hunt with a shotgun so I wouldn't be mounting the light to my gun, I dont really know which Light I'd end up getting if I were to get one.

I'm just so torn on buying one that its hard for me to make a commitment.

Ryan.
District 4

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »
7pointer
What head light are you using. I never liked just using head light for scanning and shooting.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 09:46:25 AM »
7pointer
What head light are you using. I never liked just using head light for scanning and shooting.

Right now I'm using a night light "the tracker" to say its a hunk of junk may be the understatement of the century. I just cock it a little bit and when we get to a spot give it a quick check make sure everythings lined up correctly and turn the call on. That's really all there is to it for us, if I get a kill lite I still plan do use it like that with the head mount and everything. Just one light to scan and shoot with.  Its never failed me yet, but there is always a first time ;)

Ryan.
District 4

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »
7pPinter
Well not much needed the way you hunt.  I sure do not have an answer on what light for you to buy either. I hunt entirely different then you it sounds like.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 02:47:09 PM »
I'm more up close and personal fast FAST action kind of guy, I like when you turn the call on and they're there within the first 30 seconds.  Sadly I just tried to get permission at two places and it didnt work out that way, got shot down. No big deal, I'll just have to find some different spots to try.

I'm going to try to use a rifle once in a while this upcoming season but we'll see how that goes. I've never killed a redfox so that's what I'm trying to target this year.

Ryan.
District 4

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 04:03:07 PM »
7pointer
LoL Now that is funny. We all like fast action predator calling that is why we all do it. That is also why new hunters like gray fox hunting. If you scout your area  more for red fox you can make red fox hunting happen pretty fast but your type of shooting might change. The area you hunt has the same number of gray fox as red fox. If you concentrate  more scouting for red fox you will have fun with both but your shots might get a little longer. Red fox like to check out your down wind side farther out then gray fox. Gray fox will run right by you at times. Gray fox are not the smartest critters a lot of the time.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
Hunting greys in the woods is a hole different game than hunting wide open spaces.I have used a head light in the past very similar to what your using and found it difficult to get lined up for the shot.I think if your looking for a change you need to seriously look at what YOUR needs are for the type of hunting you do.You don't have to always follow the heard when it comes to hunting gear.There has never been more choices for lights than there is know which is good but can be confusing.Don't be afraid to ask questions  some on here has probably already tried it.

Offline Whiteknuckle

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 02:15:11 AM »
Ryan,
I look forward to seeing you this weekend, you can test the kill-lights for yourself then decide if they will fit your style or not.

Jeremiah

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 09:16:58 AM »
At about how far can you I.D. an animal at night with the red modul in the kill light 250. Im thinking on getting 1 for on my rifle and I dont realy like using green or yellow when im hunting at night

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »
Rosko
Depends on your scope and the back ground the fox is in. I would say 100 yards with most scopes and you could see the body and identify as a fox in the right background. With the right back ground and a good scope that distance can be increased sometimes. I have shot fox with this light out to 268 yards in the snow and could see the foxes body clearly enough to shoot the shoulder. So, how far you can you identify a fox clearly for a shot will depend on your ability, scope, back ground and your eye sight. You would have to tell me how far you can identify with it. 

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »
Two nights ago I spoteed eyes at roughly 400 yards with the 250 kill light.  I did not know what it was at that distance as it was not moving.  At 300 yards I knew it was either a fox or coyote by the usual body language of a predator bouncing my way.  At 200 I was not comfortable taking the shot as it was still moving toward me.  I always let them come in if they are in the mood  Still could not determine if it was a fox or coyote but knew I was a shootable animal.  At 100 yards it turned sideways and tried to circle my downwind side.  I could easily tell it was a red fox.  It stopped for a quick look and I shot it.  This was a big grassy field. 

My point is.  I could identify the animal at roughly 300 yards as a shootable animal however even if I had the shot would not have taken it.  It's crucial to identify the animal but it's not neccessary to shoot 200 to 400 yards.  Part of the game is getting them closer and it makes for more excitement.

This is in no way a bust on anyone that shoots long distances as that is a skill in its own.  The 250 kill light is the way to go but as others stated there are a lot of variables to consider when trying to identify and shoot a critter.  Its called the 250 Kill Light because of the distance of illumination.  Get yourself one, you won't be sorry.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 05:30:02 PM »
well I pretty much desided to get 1 but the wife dosnt know it yet ;D she thinks I need to sell some of my hunting toy though. I say no I just need more  ;D I tell her ya always need backup stuff .

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 05:57:39 PM »
Lookn4fur
If you are going to talk at all about long shots you need to experience it first. 
Let's not forgot to mention my part on the excitement on the long shot. I get excited by a long shot just like you on a close shot. To some, the ability to call them in at all or for a close shot is excitement enough.  So to make the statement and to lead hunters that to call them in close is the skill and the reason that makes  predator hunting so exciting is not true in all cases. I know quite a few hunters that are proud of there long shots on fox. I have killed a truck load of predators in close. I also enjoy the sport of long range shooting. The long shots just adds a new level of skill to keep me interested in fox hunting. The close shots just do not excite me as much as the easy chip shots do. If I was only intested in killing as many as I could I might think differently. I just love to see them fall over far. It just seams to keep me interested any more.

Rosko
If you are serious about predator hunting you might want to sell stuff. LOL
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:26:30 PM by Buckwheat »

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 08:51:08 PM »
Buckwheat
I am serious about predator hunting but until I know the new stuff works as good or better then the stuff I have I like to hang onto it.