Author Topic: Scored a new Kill light today  (Read 6295 times)

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
Scored a new Kill light today
« on: January 06, 2011, 05:07:31 PM »
I finally bought a new kill light today. I scored a red 250 from Quest Sports in Wampum. Real nice people and they give a discount to PPHA members. I wasn't able to get two right now so for now I'll use this one to scan and keep my Primos 250 yard light mounted on my scope. It will sure beat holding that 2 million candle spot all night and always worrying about washing them out.

thanks to leglifter for hooking me up with Quest.

Rick
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Scored a new Kill light today
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 06:53:46 PM »
Anytime
You'll love being wireless

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »
How long can you use a 250 kill Light constant before you have to pop in another battery?  The paperwork says the red 250 Kill Light only last about  1 1/2 hours... So if you have two batteries you got 3 hours of hunting... If you purchase 2 more you can hunt up to 6 hours if you used your 250 Red Kill Light as a scanning light..

Your cheaper  Nitelite 6 volt system.....paperwork say they last about 6 hours.  So if you have 4 batteries for the 250 Kill Light then it would still be equal to Nitelite head light like the Wizard and still be less bulky and lighter in weight.

How long  does the 100 Kill Light last on one battery?  I was considering using this as my scan light and the red 250 Kill Light as my shooting light on my rifle...

As posted once before... The Primos 250 light... Nice shooting light...I have one and it's a great combination with an illuminated scope... However best make sure you have a red spot light to make sure what the critter is before you shoot at it with the Primos light.. I like my Primos light and will still use.  What I like about the Primos 250 light is..Once you turn your scanning light off and turn on the Primos light.. The predators can't see you behind the gun.  I was quite impressed with how it made me stealth.. The fox have just been coming without being spooked.

However since I own both now...If I did not own the Primos light...I would surely purchase the 250 Red Kill Light before the Primos light.  

Offline kyle21

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:04:01 PM »
i had four 6volt batteries for my primos i was luck they lasted a whole stand, my buddys is the same way....needless to say were the proud new owners of kill lights  ;D...now if i could only get this Mining job so i can buy another one for scanning...being unemployed is killing my predator hunting  >:(

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:59:14 AM »
Yeah know what you mean. Can't wait to get another already so I won't have to lug around the battery for the Primos light and no more wires to contend with.
Rick Comport

Offline foxkillerz

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
i have been getting about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours out of each battery and by the end you can tell its getting dimmer but it would still pick up eyes.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 08:53:50 AM »
same here uncle buck...I used my 250 last night exclusively for scanning, and I could hold its brightest beam for at least 2 hours, probably more....I hunted from 9pm til 4am and used 2 batteries (driving between locations took some time as well)
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 01:20:22 PM »
 It cost $19.00 for two additional batteries for the 250 Kill Light..   For $19.00 bucks you could use the Kill Light for a scanner and get to hunt with all 4 batteries well over 6 hours....I probably will never purchase another brand new Nitelite head light or equal.. I will replace the innards of my old batteries once they go but I too will start to use the Kill Lights not only for shooting but for scanning too.. Why carry all that weight.. also the more belts, suspenders, wires, you have on your more prone to scare more predators away with all the clicks and clacks associated with carrying in more gear..Then there is the end of the hunt...Even though I hunt well over 6 hours per night with heavy equipment or light equipment.. Your not going to be as fatigued at the end of the hunt.. If your going to hunt hard why carry all of that weight around with you..

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 11:23:18 PM »
Unclebuck
I like using the 250 for scanning and shooting. It is so nice to not have wires and still have plenty of light. I let my gun light on all the time wile on stand pointed were I think they will show up and scan with a 250 on my hat the whole time on stand and can hunt all night on 6 batteries. Maybe 4 batteries would work all night but I change both batteries if one starts to go dim, I just do not want to have a problem on stand so I change them. I carry 8 batteries just in case some of my stands start to get long.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 11:33:51 PM »
Some good wisdom...By leaving your light on the predators are accustomed to the area since it would be lit up...So it sounds like as a scanning light it too would work as a shield... I was thinking about this..The hand held light and or the head light not only acts as a scanning light it also creates the black circle that we hide behind and become stealth.. Hope the 250 does that too?.. Maybe the 100 would be better...  I am still so impressed on that beam goes way out there and light up the area..

So far I have 4 batteries...I purchased the two each extra...

I have a Primos rechargeable spot light that cost $19.00. Added a red pop cover that I got in the camping department at Basspro.   It to shoots that beam out there like the 250 kill light... So many pro and con however with the spot... I however can attach it to my new shooting rest and lay the gun in the holder and have the Primos Spot Light there to activate when it time to shoot.  Just so many shooting lights.  However I do still like the 250 Kill light... You know how the predators get call shy from the same sounds?  I don't think they will get 250 Kill Light shy from everyone using this new shooting light...Funny you look on all the hunting sites and they are on everybody guns in harvest pictures.

Offline thearcher1340

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:27:36 AM »
Well i was at the Harrisburg sport show this past week and i purchased the xlr 250 kill light kit came with extra battery car charger and home charger red and green lens 2 batteries and 2 types scope mounts 200 dollars.  Went out back and was really impressed at how far you can see.  Really new to night hunting, can't wait to get started.  Just wondering if this was a OK deal on the light.  Also a one year buy back guarantee, in writing.

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »
Thearcher2340 I'd say it is if you got the green light with it and also a car charger.. That does not come with the $139.99 KillLight  set... You only get one color not two...

Last night I got my first Kill with 2 of my 250 Red kill Lights (Just purchased them last week).  Also my first kill with Ernie Wilson Ranger Rifle Rest...  A 75 yard shot.. Called in with open reed call, and shot with the 17 Fireball..  Ernie that rest is just AWESOME!!!!!So are the 2 Kill lights.. One for scanning the other for my shooting light on my Muller red dot scope..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:34:11 AM by uncle buck »

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 09:35:12 AM »
Way to go UB!!
Rick Comport

Offline thearcher1340

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »
Nice going UB yes that kit did come with the red green and clear lights. Also came with the car charger.  What kind of mount do you use with the kill light for your scope?  I am planning on using my savage 17 for night hunting.  I'm trying to get  organized a bit before I hit the woods though, never did the night hunting.  Spent a couple of hours reading a lot of the forum, a lot of great information.  I do hunt coyotes with some success.  Shot my first yote archery hunting back in the early 90's, got her full mounted, pretty cool at the time, farmers in the area couldn't believe it.
      More times than not I have the problem of closing the gap.  I've had them barking at me growling at me as the hair on the back of my neck was straight out.lol Howling just not sure how to close that gap, keep quiet or howl back, really frustrates you at times.  My idea when i go out cote humting is we r not getting one and anything above that is a bonus.lol....

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 09:01:18 PM »
When they bark and or yep at you...Hit them with a good 2 minutes of the coyote pup. Then shut up for about 8 minutes...That gets them to come in for a look see...

Yes it's getting in the right set up.. sometimes hunting the small areas of Pa makes it harder then when you have large wide open spaces... You could in wide open spaces see them making their arc and coming in to the least resistance or into the wind.. When places are tight for visibility they can show up just about anywhere and that's when they catch you with your pants down..