Author Topic: Another missed opportunity  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
Another missed opportunity
« on: July 27, 2010, 03:24:40 PM »
The other night me and a friend got some coyotes howlin over a ways away so we repositioned and started callin. we waited for about a half hour after callin. as we get ready to leave we shine the light and see eyes. couldn't shoot cause we weren't positive on our target. so i lipsqueak and it starts to head down wind running head bobing back and forth. then it goes behind a knoll and is never seen again. any suggestions?

uncle buck

Re: Another missed opportunity
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:49:19 PM »
Um you should have stayed 45 minutes on stand.  I have a few coyotes show up at the 35 to 45 minute mark...

Since they were howling prior to your calling  probably a coyote.  Did you call constantly or did you do long gaps of silence in between your calling? If you remained silent for long periods of times it was probably a coyote

..Hearing actual live coyotes howling, coyotes are there, minimal calling and  do the silent thing..They will come in for a looks see then...

What kind of light lens(red)?  were you using and what color were the eyes?

If the eyes were going up and down could be a predator running and trying to get in line...Once in line with you and the wind was blowing toward it it's always over when it comes to Eastern coyotes....

If the eyes were going side to side.. I don't know what it could be??????/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:49:57 PM by uncle buck »

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 04:55:16 AM »
"If the eyes were going side to side.. I don't know what it could be?" Hey,the side to side is still a coyote. He's just saying "no you don't fool me this time." LOL

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 12:47:56 AM »
"If the eyes were going side to side.. I don't know what it could be?" Hey,the side to side is still a coyote. He's just saying "no you don't fool me this time." LOL

Clint

Clint your probably correct... You have seen people shake their head from side to side when they just can't believe what people  are trying to do..  I bet they coyote was a bit disgusted that some one had the nerve to try to shoot him or her....

Yotestalker...Keep doing what ever you did the next time around..You did have their interest!!!!! See it's good to get busted you learn from experience... How can you know Victory if you don't know Defeat?  Maybe next time your shooter can move farther down from your calling and then set up cross wind of your sound beam??? He might pop one before it smell you...

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »
we did the silent thing and with everytime we blew on the call we got the slightest bit quieter, we do use a red lense. and as far as the side to side i meant more that as it ran it was looking around and sniffing.

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »
If it was looking back....Someone might have clicked a forearm...Something like that ...A sound was probably made by one of you that was not familiar with the coyote... 

They are amazing animals....

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 11:36:08 PM »
Over the years the coyote has taught me a lot of things. And he still is doing that. There was just something he didn't like. It may not have been anything you did. Somrtimes whan they are looking around there is another one near by. Wouldn't worry too much about it. learn what you can from them and go on to the next setup. Good hunting.

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------