Author Topic: Stand up or sit down  (Read 5027 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Stand up or sit down
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:15:31 PM »
When night hunting do you think it is better to stand up so you have visability or kneel down so your not so visible to the predators?I know your light acts like a shield to some degree but what if the light isn't shining in their direction?

uncle buck

Re: Stand up or sit down
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:14:51 PM »
Stand....Also getting a shooting styk that you can use standing...When calling and using a rifle at night you can't see Jack however if you stand you can see the critters coming in for hundreds of yards..Now the only time you could sit and use a Harris if you got up high in the farmers field  and called down below..Also you don't need much height either ..Just say a mound that elevates just 5 to 6 feet high would allow you to sit.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 07:27:43 AM »
I do both depending on the stand.  when hunting fence rows and woods I stand.  while hunting fields I kneel.  I also make sure I do not silhouette myself either.  I have always thought that if I did not have a predator in the light while in a field standing up he would see my figure against the sky.  the county I hunt has tons of light pollution so it isn't hard to be spotted if you don't stay against something to break your outline or at least stay low. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:42:04 AM »
Sitting down with shooting sticks is what i use. Very comfortable and very stable. Shooting at eye balls with a 223 you must be stable.

Offline furbug

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:44:53 PM »

+1 ;D

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:10:46 PM »
I like to sit and be real comfy on stand especially at my age.  That way I only get to see half of what comes in and I never get a good shot at the ones that come in from behind me or right or left of me either,that way there is always plenty of seed for the next time I go hunting. Also I do not have to deal with a lot of fur after hunting all night and being so tired from hunting all night.  Besides, then I get to sound like everyone else and my stories sound exciting. Ya know like call three fox in last night and seen there eyes but they must have smelt me and they left, but I did got a shot a one that showed up 20 feet away that ran when I my light spooked him and he got away type story. Yep no way I would stand.

PS
 Does any one have and good recommendations for a good seat. I have one of those plastic ones with foam in know, but after last year flying down the mountain like a snow boarder on that thing screaming for my life I need to find something else.
Ernie
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:53:41 PM »
Not to offend anyone but as you get older I guess its harder to get up from a sitting or kneeling position.I'm starting to feel it.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:43:21 PM »
I never stand as I don't want to sillouette myself.  I have found a great seat finally.  It is sold at Cabelas and is around $30.  I think it is called a turkey lounger or something like that...very nice IMHO.

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 10:47:53 PM »
BW, I have one I ordered on the internet. It's made by Ameristep. Short legs and a backrest. I used it in Wyoming last year with Earl and it was great.
President PPHA

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »
When a stand dicates that I stand I will especially when using a shotgun but, normally I shoot rifle and I prefer to sit the majority of the time. 

TFC2223
KCC Prostaff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 11:38:30 PM »
I have so many shooting styks, rest, and mono pods, bi pods, tri pods, sling sticks,  homemade this shooting styks, and  homemade that shooting pods now I am going to open a shooting rest museum up in Lewistown, Pa...

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 09:16:18 PM »
primos bark-a-lounger.
i always sit.
but usually if we see eyes we have to stand up so we can get a better view

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 10:28:17 PM »
Hunting with a partner....The shooter is the one that sees the incoming predator first.....Usually so sitting down if your doing the calling is not as crucial...However if your by yourself and doing the hand calling...You want to be able to see incoming from afar so you can get ready...This is when you need to be up higher in a field ......then you can sit or standing if your on a level field..

There have been times when I have been calling that the coyotes pass the shooter...they just don't see them and I do get the shots..

Truly .....a predator caller needs to learn how to read the land...This is where I like to scout...Not so much to look for predator sign but see what the  lay of the land is.. Grant you the predator do have to  be there but one need to look for travel routes of least resistance.. Also they need to know what is behind the tree line they are calling... For example if there is a woodlot there that also means that the predator will come from the woodlot or cover...So many times people head right for the woodlot and the hunt is already over.

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 11:31:15 PM »
This is how we do it here.

Some use camo ladders to get up higher when you can't use a truck in that state.

Check this out.     http://www.nifftseat.com/video2.htm

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 12:33:31 AM »
Clint thanks for the link...That is a neat seat.......