Author Topic: 17 Fireball Reloads?  (Read 7954 times)

uncle buck

17 Fireball Reloads?
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:53:35 PM »
I have been reloading for the 17 Fireball...25 grain Hornady HP...  Seems like most info for the 17 Fireball on the web is either for IMR powder or Hodgdon...Was hoping to do a few maybe the Reloader 15 and maybe Reloader 10X.  Seems like Alliant only has data on the 17 Rem to date...  I did send them an e-mail asking about the 17 Fireball and the Reloader 15 and 10X powder.

I did use some of the data on the 17 Fireball reloads web link  that Scott sent to me a few weeks back...All were the IMR of Hodgdon powders...

Anyone use any of  the Alliant powders for the 17 Fireball?  What about other reloads?  If you do need some of the IMR and or the Hodgdon you can find it on the IMR/Hodgon,. Winchester combined powder web site:

http://www.imrpowder.com/

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:55:29 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

Re: 17 Fireball Reloads?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:58:47 PM »
Web link that Scott forwarded to me a few weeks back on someone that kept stats on how the bullets shot in his Rem SPS 17 Fireball:
  Good excellent info on what powders might work the best especially in the Rem rifles..However you just never know they might shoot well in a Encore rifle too????

http://sites.google.com/a/17remingtonfireball.com/www/home

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:15:25 PM »
Alliant did send me some reloading data for the 17 Fireball and the Reloader 10X powder.  I did a few last night a test batch in the 25 Hornady HP and a test batch in the Hornady 20 grain V Max.
                                           From Lyman Data
20 Gr V Max
RL 10x powder start:   16.8 grains @ 3607 fps   Max 18.5 grs @ 3954 fps

25  Gr Hornady HP
RL 10x powder start:   16.4 grs @ 3362 fps      Max 18 grs @ 3682 fps

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »
I have been impressed with my 17 Rem reloads to date...Seems like no matter what powder I use they all group well and below or better then the 1 inch mark...One thing for sure truly going to have to go to the club and shoot all of these powders again just to determine which is the best...Serious shooting... Taking my time to adjust if other shooters are using the range. Not to hurry to accommodate.  Just spend a long period of time doing the testing the right way.
Hopefully the same thing will happen when I start to test loads for the 17 Fireball...17 Center fires (so far the 17 Rem)  are truly IMO one of the best calibers to shoot and reload...
Sad that all the gun writers back in the late60's and early 70's just cut the 17 Rem down.  In many cases just from gut feelings not really trying them on predators... However fur hunting back then just did not exist like it does today too...so it was the times...I think they were thinking more about woodchucks, gophers, etc not red fox or coyotes...

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:49:08 AM »
I have been trying to break all the codes on the small magnum primers. specifically  CCI 450 Magnum small rifle: looks like if you use a Ball or a Spherical powder you can use the CCI 450. Guess I am going to have to look for a update list somewhere that specifically ID's Ball Powder and Spherical powder by vendor and number... I know a little about it since I did stumble on just what Ball powder and Spherical powder is...I found that in the front of my OLD Speer reloading book... Also looks like Magnum primers can be used in subzero hunting Temps. then to compound it even more found something on the web that shows that magnum are stronger then regular primers.. This is suppose to be a + for primers not being punctured right through by the firing pin...
All and all you know what really one should do...Use the primer that is recommended in the reloading data that you get from a powder and or bullet mfg. that way it's safer then playing around with if this prevails then this prevails then this prevails...This prevailing can drive you to, to much prevailing...
Almost feel like you have to be one of those kids that can recite individual player stats on the back of baseball and or football cards.
I'm going to start to use data in reloading manuals for safety sake...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:50:42 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 12:53:20 PM »
I shoot Berger's out of my furball.  If you email Walt Berger he is pretty forthcoming with providing you some load data.