Author Topic: Forget the wind and just shoot.  (Read 2363 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Forget the wind and just shoot.
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:08:23 AM »
I am a big fan of the .17 cf and the .22 hornet, i think they are the two best cabilers for predator hunting in pa for both fox and coyotes.   One thing i have alway heard about the .17's is you cannot shoot them in high winds.  i have two buddies that shoot .17s and they are always concerned about the wind.   i have had my .17 out for chucks in high winds and on shots under 200 yards i have not held off of fur yet and really haven't seen the wind effect the bullet yet.  So take that .17 out in all types of weather this summer and see what it can do, it will pay off on those cold windy nights in January over snow.   

Offline furbug

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Forget the wind and just shoot.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:23:54 PM »

I agree, since reloading for all small calibers run the same. I do not own a centerfire 17, I had run offs with a HMR. Body shots on ground pigs, etc. My friend owns one and he says the 17 is hard to get real clean because the bore is so small. I also agree, most shots are not far at night so you will get little wind drift. Depending on where you live, for fox I would use a shotgun, In the west there are very few fox, most being poached before fur season, by rabbit hunters, who also groundhog hunt. They see a fox, it is history. Coyotes are tough, but if you hit them up front in the vitals a 17 will kill one. The vital area in a coyote is about 8 inches max.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »
i use mostly a shotgun for fox but in the right conditions i like to use the rifle, the rifle only makes 1 hole which is less deduction at the fur buyer.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:30:50 PM »
Back in the early 70's many a sportswriter gave the 17 Rem a bad rap...saying that the bullet drifts in wind.  Some of these guys never even owned 17 Rems...Hated to see that ...Telling people that the wind will impact the bullet...I have to agree with Scott...The 17 Center Fires both 17 Remington and the 17 Fireball are almost near point blank type from 0 well out past 200 yards... Also if the wind is drifting cross wind it will still kill a fox if the wind is up to 10 MPH too... I have killed animals with the 17 Rem on windy days...