Author Topic: Summer calling  (Read 5710 times)

Offline Tom Stohler

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Summer calling
« on: February 23, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »
Does everyone change your calling tactics and if you do what's the change

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Summer calling
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 09:30:35 PM »
Good thread Tom! Was wondering this the other day since I'm new to the sport. Does bug spray effect coyotes? If so what do people use for tick and nat defense cause nothing can be more annoying than pesky mosquitoes

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 10:07:47 PM »
I use fawn distress most of the time right after there born, then in late summer fawn distress mixed with some coyote pup whimpers and crys or pup distress

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 11:38:48 AM »
I will get a call or three each summer to remove nuisance Coyotes.
I want to work close to the den or within ear shot of den.
I look for farm lanes, mowed hay field, or anything that's not overgrown to setup and watch this area. I prefer the sun in my face or to my side, but setup in the shadows.
Weeds, brush and trees are in full growth, so setting up to see what is approaching can be a challenge.
I pre-scout these nuisance areas and make a plan, A, B & C. Planning out your hunt is a must to be successful to remove one livestock killer or a family of two or three adults and several pups.
This is the hardest hunting I do. By that, am not after fur and calling many spots in many areas today, but focusing on removing one animal or a group living at one spot. Pressure is on, property owner wants results and so on. This will test your metal.

If you just want to hunt Coyote and not after a livestock killer, you can use the above info to fit your needs.
Do some scouting. If you find Pa. Coyote during the summer months, they will stay in the area, likely a den nearby. They are not on the move, in fact studies have shown Coyote move very little during hot summer months. In my area, they live most of the time in standing Corn fields.
Scouting and hunting added gear; long sleeve shirt and long pants, a pair of pruning shears, bug spray, flea collar around each ankle of boot (not on bare skin). Store flea collars in empty P-butter jar between uses. Pruning shears are always with me on any hunt, all year long.

What was the question?...
Oh yea, calling
I pretty much stay with the same sounds all year long. They are Coyote sounds.
I do enjoy a good mouth battle with a homebody Coyote. I've done that several times at den sites.
Makes the hair on my neck stand up, but I bark back at 'em... Sounds like a junk yard dog and you know you got him fired up. Rarely use the challenge barks. But at den sites, this sound is made to order. Not to mention fun and hair raising having a mad Coyote barking and warning you to stay back. All the while he's pacing around and doing a few kickbacks.
If you hunt summer time Coyote, just stick with the same sounds that's worked for you during fur season.

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »
The only thing that my experience allows me to comment on is the bug issue.  I spray my clothes routinely with Permethrin.  I haven't gotten anything yet so I assume that it works.

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
Agree 100% with permetherin!  I had tick problems in archery season. I treated my clothes with permetherin and never had any problems afterwards. Those things creep me out!!! I was very ill from Lyme disease four years ago. It's not something I would ever want to experience again. Permetherin works!  :)
District 5 coordinator

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 06:26:26 PM »
Thanks Bo1 and fox hound I will use that. I know 2 people that contracted Lyme disease not pretty at ALL! I wouldn't wish that on anyone!

Offline 32-20

• PPHA officers.
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 10:05:05 PM »
Permethrin worked for me last fall, first time I used it no ticks. You know I will be using it come spring Turkey season.
Still going to carry a bottle of Deet just in case the skeeters act up on the bare skin.
Dangit now should be a bounty on skeeters and ticks not coyotes!!!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 09:26:10 AM »
What is this Permethrin? Where do I purchase it?
Is this the products actual name or is it an ingredient to look for?
Help me out. Thanks. 

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 09:31:21 AM »
Hern it's an ingredient to look for. They sell it in spray bottles at various stores by the name Sawyers....I buy the concentrate at Tractor Supply and mix my own...me being cheap and all.. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) You will need to read a few labels but it will be in the bug killer section at TS. Good stuff, I use it on my wood cutting clothes and it works great. Lasts about 6 weeks even with washing...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:32:53 AM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 09:40:06 AM »
+1 on the Sawyers. Good stuff

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 09:57:39 AM »
Let's see if this works
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 10:06:55 AM »
post this on here before,  be careful with this stuff it is wicked..  it is made to spray on your outer layer of clothing and let dry..  I would not pray that stuff on wet and let it dry on me..   also I would not and do not use it on my hat..   also you can get it at the drug store in a form of lice killer that you spray on the bed,  it is in a white can with a blue lid..   stuff lasts a full month on clothes..   

when I first starting using it I was rabbit hunting, I stopped because the beagle got on a rabbit, I looked at my brush pants and had a tick on my thigh area, he walked around a little bit started to do circles and died, couldn't believe how quick it killed him..   

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »
Scott, in deciding to try Sawyers for the first time, I'd read a review on Amazon that described the same exact thing with the tick.  Right then and there is when I decided to purchase it.

Scott's right, and it will also say it in the directions for use, do not spray on your skin.  Nor do you want to put clothing on that still is wet from you spraying it.  I treat my clothes as well as the kids hunting clothes in it.  I do spray my hat though.

Goose, thanks for the picture.  I need to go buy that concentrate as I too am cheap.  I've been buying Sawyers for too long.  Now I know what it looks like.  I'm sure that the mixture instructions are on it but just in case they're not, what's the ratio of the mixture?

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 10:13:27 AM »
 ;) ;) ;) I use this stuff on all my hunting clothes, hang on clothes line, spray and let dry, as ticks are active down to 28°...so all of archery and most of rifle season for deer....they be active  :o :o :o :o This stuff is odorless also...Yea the mixture is on the bottle but I think it's 6:1...don't hold me to that as the bottle isn't here in my hand now... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:15:48 AM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member