Author Topic: Skinning  (Read 1744 times)

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Skinning
« on: November 02, 2015, 08:00:37 AM »
Looking at getting new skinning knife/knifes. Just wondering what you all recommend or suggest for skinning fox, coons, and coyotes? Thanks for the help.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Skinning
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 01:35:41 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) Without being a smarta$$ I recommend one that is sharp and stays sharp  ::) ::) ::) But my preference is one with less than a 4" blade that holds a sharpened edge and is comfortable to hold... Comfortable to hold = one that you don't hafta pinch to hold because it is too small nor one you hafta stretch you hand to hold....it hasta feel right... :-\ :-\ :-\ You will go through several til you find the right one.  ??? ??? ??? Mine is a paring knife made by Victorinox....some folks like Chicago Blue knives...you will have to decide what works for you...get a fleshing tool also, a necker... This is the season to experiment on what works for you!!  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:36:29 PM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 03:51:05 PM »
I always liked a knife with a distinct point. With the point, I can make entry cuts and cuts around eyes.
I would suggest a 4" fillet knife. Nice pointed tip and blade long enough to make cuts through thick butt fur.
Like Goose said, you may go through a few knives until you find what works for you.
I have skun and put up fur with many guys over the years. The wide variety of knives I've seen used is crazy, from Marine KABAR to a single razor blade held between finger and thumb. Not trying to say that in a bad way, shows how we can adapt and use any tool, I guess.
So, I feel a bit off when recommending knives, boots, rain gear, ammo and such.

Here's the knives I use for skun'n:
Top- Dexter Russell Bolens, 2 1/2" blade
Second-  Finland fillet knife, 4" blade (fast becoming my favorite and the one I always reach for)
Third- Ole favorite, no name, been with me a long time, 2 3/4" blade
Bottom- Ole sharpening stone

Here's a Mink pelting knife. Razor blade. I just couldn't get the hang of this knife, and it's laid around for years without being used.
Martor #360, German made.

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »
Thank you