Author Topic: Surf Fishing in NJ?????  (Read 4026 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Surf Fishing in NJ?????
« on: September 22, 2015, 08:48:49 AM »
Forrest has been invited to go fishing for a couple of days on the New Jersey Beach.   I have never fishing the surf and I am not sure what he will need besides a tentnus shot.   Any help with what type of rod and reel he will need, plus any tackle he should be using,  he is going in the early part of October..   

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Surf Fishing in NJ?????
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 10:09:01 AM »
A fishing license !
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 12:49:58 PM »
He will need Pyramid sinkers.  Also salt water hooks.  Best to buy some of the salt water harnesses that you place the pyramid sinker on the bottom and attach two salt water hooks that already have the leaders on them. You can fish two baits.... My best bait has always been Mullet that time of the year.  You can get a block of them frozen at all bait shops but at times they do have the fresh ones too.. You can put them on who or slice them in two and use as cut bait... Once you catch your first let say a small Blue fish you can also use that as cut bait... There are other baits they use down there.. Squid, blood worms, etc.. I always ask in the bait shops what are they hitting on... In Walmart there is some of the catfish bait that is large silver shad in a package... I have caught some big Flounder along the jetties using the rig I described to you above and those  shad.  I know you know what i.m talking about.. They usually have them hanging in Walmart where the catfish bait is..they are silver in color and they do call them Shad.. They might have black dot on the body..  All Wal Marts will have surf combos down in NJ..  They cost about $30.00 for rod and reel and the good thing you can use it for Channel Cat fishing in Pa...You want the open bail spinning reel with about 10 pound at minimum of line on it.. You can go a bit heavier if you think he will hook into Stripers.   This si real important what i'm going to say next:  Tell him everyday after he is done go to where people wash their feet off near by or back at the motel and wash the reel off by tipping it in fresh water in their sink or at those places along the beach the public wash the sand off their feet.. The salt water will destroy the inside working of the reel and it will render it useless. Tell him dip the entire reel in a utilty sink if the motel have them... They usually have a room on the bottom floor to get rid of sand so people don't take them in the rooms... I have surf reels now about  20 years old because I took care of the insides..  Stay away from spincast type reels for obvious .  Also there are now laws that you have to go on a computer and say that you will be fishing in the ocean.. No cost they just want to know the number of people using the fishery..    I think this is mainly because of the striper fishing...  Make sure the fishing rod can be broken down and it's not one piece. Better for traveling in trunks and peoples vehicle...

uncle buck

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 01:00:31 PM »
If he want to try a few lures... I like fishing along the jetties with fish looking lures that look like a small mullet... Sometimes I even catch my own mullet with a net that you throw off the side of the jetty.. Again this is dangerous for a kid to do since you can can pulled off the jetty into the water.. Caution him of going on the jetties.. It slippery and you can break a leg so easy.. Some jetty fishermen use spikes on the bottom of their shoes so they don't slip..  ALSO very imprortant in OCt in NJ.. Make sure he wears and has the best DEET.. The skeeters will drill the heck out of you.. The NJ gov even has the NJ MOSQUITO COMM  DOWN THERE!  No shorts...wear long pants especially around the jetties.. I fish off the jetties behind the Cape may Light House and nun convent.. I have seen people with shorts getting drilled so bad by skeeters... So bad they look like they were doing a dance by them slapping their legs and hands..

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 06:06:29 AM »
Thanks for all the info UB, I was telling him last night what you wrote and he is going to take a look at it and use it when he goes..   really appreciate the info.