Author Topic: 2014 ground hog season  (Read 20778 times)

Offline Predator100x

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
Re: 2014 ground hog season
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 06:59:57 PM »
Ben,I use hoppes copper an lead solvent in all my guns,if gun is really fouled I will plug the barrel an fill it,let it soak for 10 minutes then run the brush threw er.you will be amazed what comes out,if I get a chance I will post a pic of one of my long range bangers. ;D
Skin that one pilgrim and I'll fetch ya another!

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »
I thought yo liked the .243. I personally dont see the point behind the wssm series. Seems like a waste of powder too me. But some like vanilla compared to chocolate.

All about horse power Ben  8)
About 200 fps for that couple grains of powder. 

I had this discussion with a guy over calibers once and he pointed something out to me. Using Hodgdon site for 58gr bullets ans IMR4895 powder

243 win
44.7 gr = 3817 fps ..... that is 85.4 fps per grain

243 wssm
46.2 gr = 4017 fps ..... that is 86.9 fps per grain

That means it's more efficient right?  Well, don't know about that, but it helped me convince myself I wanted needed one  ;)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »
Id rather have a long high bc bullet over a fast light bullet. Jmo.

I thought about building a 6.5-06 but not sure if i want to give up on the 25-06
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 07:47:45 PM »
I think you should have both.

All I've shot in it so far are 70 gr and less.  Going to try some heavier stuff this summer for that same reason

Getting tougher to find fields to hunt around here any more.  Either not being farmed of too many houses now. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 08:21:29 PM »
Same issue here as well tj. Also seen my first roadkill ghog this afternoon.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 07:30:51 AM »
And about having both. I have been wanting a wildcat. That isnt commercially available. The 6.5-06 is pretty much the same gun as the 284 version.  I also would only have to keep 6.5 caliber bullets as well. No need for the .257 bullets. We'll see how well i can get this 25-06 running first. Be bad to tear down a shooter

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
25-06 deer load;

IMR 4350 49.0 gr
         Sierra SPBT 117 gr
         2900 fps

I've had it pick up a doe and throw her down with a straight on shot!! ;) mine is a Rem 700 BDL great caliber, and a great flat shooter... ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
Yesterday "gert" was out on her dirt mound and the temp was @ 25. Upon a closer look she was insinuating that I was number 1. >:( >:( Walked a little closer and she ducked into the hole........only to stick her little fuzzy nugget out for peek. ??? ??? Upon further review with binos, it looked like she was grin'n at me. ::) ::) Seems a bullet is just too easy for this one. ??? ??? Might have to refer to the "acme" catalog for this one. ;D ;D ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 07:08:32 PM »

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 09:13:49 PM »
what do you two use to clean your rifles?  I have been using sweets with a nylon bore brush till patch comes out clean then a shot or two of hopes no9 then dry patch.

Pretty much the same I do.  Sometimes I let it soak in the barrel for a little while.  There is a cheaper foam out that I have heard works well and isn't as corrosive like some of the stuff out there.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:16:42 PM by shadowchaser »
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 02:05:48 PM »

That oughta work. 8) 8) Wonder if it has the mower mount option ?? ;D ;D ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 04:19:05 PM »
what do you two use to clean your rifles?  I have been using sweets with a nylon bore brush till patch comes out clean then a shot or two of hopes no9 then dry patch.

Pretty much the same I do.  Sometimes I let it soak in the barrel for a little while.  There is a cheaper foam out that I have heard works well and isn't as corrosive like some of the stuff out there.

I have tried the foam and even other copper removers.  if its not corrosive its hard to get the copper out.  my savage seems like it coppers up quick and if I don't use sweets it takes a lot longer to get the fouling out.  cheap is nice but plays heck to clean.  don't get me wrong either its accurate but after 30 shots I better clean it. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:57 AM »
seeing a lot more roadkill ground hogs.  Might go out Saturday afternoon and do a sit over one of my favorite fields to see if anything is out and about. 

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 12:49:58 PM »
No clean outs yet but did see tracks in the snow. Guess'n the males are ready....females maybe not. Talk'n about close to 50 degrees fri and sat. That ought have some of them poke'n their fuzzy nugget out for a peek. ;) ;) ;)
Whatado !!!!
District 6