Author Topic: 17 Hornet's first time out.  (Read 12319 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
17 Hornet's first time out.
« on: June 22, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Well,  I made it out for the first time in the field with the new 17 Hornet. It shoots like a dream. Although it has flaws, I love this caliber and the lack of recoil. This is a great replacement for my Marlin 22mag.
FayetteNam

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 17 Hornet's first time out.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »
     Looks like a nice rig you got there.  The leopold on top is definitely a nice touch.  What was your longest shot on the hogs with your .17?  I tagged a pup the other day at 220 yards.  The groundhog never took a step!  I love mine

Keep knocking 'em down !!   Next we'll have to get you into one of Ernie Wilsons Tri X Tripod stands!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 12:30:56 AM »
The longest shot was around 125 yards. I was interested in that tri pod but I'm liking the ease on the Primos trigger stick right now. i know the Ernie Wilson one will make shooting easier but I wouldn't want to walk far with it though.
FayetteNam

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 07:43:28 AM »
Looks great and it must shoot pretty good to. Congrats on the ground grizzles....

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »
Thanks, Icecube! I'm super impressed with this caliber but it does come with downsides. For one, I missed one hog because a shell problem. I had this happen at the range and I'm not sure if it's a common problem but every once in a while a shot will produce a lot of smoke out of the barrel and even out of the breach area (back into the face). This happened again in the field on another 100 yard plus hog. After I shot, the scope went white with smoke and I seen the slug hit high, no meat report, the case didn't want to eject and where it has the caliber name printed, it was black like it was burned.
FayetteNam

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »
Ian you made mention of flaws can you elaborate? Rick
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »
Sounds like an ammo issue....
Jake
York, PA

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »
  The flaws on this gun/caliber would be what I mentioned above with every once in a while getting a smoky bullet that doesn't hit the mark. The Savage swivel studs are set a little deep and my bi pod wanted to dig into the wood stock so I used the Primos tripod trigger stick instead. Sometimes the bullet doesn't want to eject therefore jamming up when another one tries to chamber. When I got home after the hunt, I was cleaning the gun and took the bolt out and wiped it down and the extractor and extractor pin came out when I tried to remove some oil build up around the firing pin hole.. It was a quick fix because I heard the parts drop on the floor and found them quick.
  Over all, I love this gun. It's everything that I've been asking for for years, I feel. This has the capabilities of all Pa predators/varmints and is fur friendly. I think the flaws will solve themselves when more companies get on board with this caliber and Hornady will have to step it up. This happend twice with rounds from two different boxes.
FayetteNam

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 04:33:22 PM »
Ian,
     I like my for basically the same reasons.  I have yet to see it "blow out" the other side of an animal.  It is definitely "fur friendly" as you've said.  The bullistics are also amazing for such a small round.  Very similar to the .223.  I hve the synthetic stock on mine.  It's the "Walking Predator" model.  Basically its a medium barrel.  It's probablly my favorite and most often "go to" gun in my arsenal.  From reading various articles on it, they claim it will bring down a coyote.....I haven't tried yet.

I'm glad you like your's.  I've been bragging mine up on the forums here....glad to have someone else on my band wagon!!
Jake
York, PA

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 08:11:49 PM »
The Sav model 25 is slick as snot boys! I have one in .223 with the thumb hole stock and not only does it look nice, shoots factory ammo that will have 5 rounds touch at 100 yards...like the commercials say, this isn't your grandpa's savage! Little heavy for my liking, wish they would of had the walking varmiter when I was buying my rifle, still not heavy enough for me not to take it with me with the confidence i've gained with it in the last 5 or so years. Excellent gun for chucks on a rest, which is just icing on the cake...if you haven't checked one of these out, they're hard to beat for roughly $550
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
This gun is amazing. I want to get back to the range and dial it in even better (if that's possible). I added a pivoting 9-13" bipod to this gun and took a small groundhog yesterday at around the two hundred yard mark. I missed one at 300 yards but it sounded like a hit but "nothing"! The coolest about this caliber is the delay and the sound confirming a hit.
FayetteNam

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 10:17:09 AM »
Ian, it is killing me that I don't have that caliber.  As soon as I am able to afford a new gun I am going to get that.  I was looking the CZ model though.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 06:37:09 PM »
Tim, It's something else. The only thing that was holding me off as long as I did was the ammo availability. I have 5 boxes now, which should last me a good while. I was looking for the Ruger version but nobody around here had it. But I am extremely happy with the Savage wood stock M25 that I got.
FayetteNam

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
For what it's worth, Remington will be coming out with the .17 Hornet ammo shortly.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »
timmy, screw that CZ junk...save some cash, buy american, and shoot just as good if not better and get that savage...then let me shoot it haha...what you gonna do with .17 hornet when you already got its .22 counterpart?
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"