Author Topic: Whistle pigs  (Read 10623 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Whistle pigs
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:52:55 AM »
Anyone been out?  I have been glassing and hoping to hit some corn and bean fields in the next two months. Its gonna be hard winging lead at pests seeing as how hard it is to get components right now.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Whistle pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 08:24:58 AM »
I was talking with bob about this just yesterday. Drove by a field I hunt and counted 3 of them standing. Have to get after them
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:53:49 AM »
You gonna try to take out the King?  Bob is the last known groundhog king to exist in that neck of the woods.  Tough hill to climb.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »
Anyone could be the king if they're retired like Bob and hunted everyday! ;D
Rick Comport

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »
Lol.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:11:33 PM »
As they say..... "Bring it"

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 07:26:12 PM »
I just didnt tally last years up. I already winged one at 180 yds with the contender. I hit him he did some acrobatics and then layed still for a minute. Then ran to the hole. Next one was 40 yds with a ics beman carbon arrow flung with authority by a hoyt. He best start soon or i'll blow him out the water. I have the .223 dialed in and the 6.5x284 for 300+
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 06:54:50 PM »
I got some stuff i needed to get done around the house early so I loaded some shells up for the 6.5x284 and decided to go see if some hogs were out.  it was slow at first about a hour of sitting I was decideing if I should leave and move to a greener field.  about then one came out  307 yds the rangefinder said so I dialed it in and squeezed the trigger.  he was facing me and I ran one through him length wise. 

I just got back from getting pics and I spyed another one.  I range found him and it was 297 yds.  I settled the crosshairs on him and squeezed off another shot. 

since I could see him through the scope I decided to just leave him lay. 

it was a bit then till the next one showed.  he was at 475 yds.  I dialed in 9moa and .75moa the wrong way and squeezed.  the bullet landed to the right of him which is where I dialed the turrets too.  rookie mistake and hoping he would come out and play again but it was not going to happen. 

shortly thereafter a pair showed up around 300 yds and I watched em for a long time.  finally they ended up one in front of the other and I squeezed another one off.  the one that was nearest to me just collapsed the one behind hopped and limped the few feet back to a nearby hole.  With the amount of blood I doubt he'll live.

after that I told myself that I wasn't shooting anymore unless it was with the contender or past 350 yds.  about 10 minutes go by and sure nuff another one shows.  I layed the contender up in the tripod and held steady.  I eased the hammer back and squeezed one off.  I heard the satisfying thump and through the 2x scope I could see a leg in the ear waving.  I walked out and range found back to my tripod and it was 197 yds.  That was the most satisfying shot of the night. 

I packed it in at that point since it was 6 and light was fading fast.  Even with the ones I killed today I seen twice as many in blind spots of the field as I was walking out to the hits and on my way out.  I prob with save this field for a day later in april it is going to be a corn field so id rather kill em now since I wont be able to see em by the end of may. 

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »
Ben, Nice afternoon buddy. Keep it up... Rick
Rick Comport

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »
Great shooting Ben.  Glad to see you smackin them with the Contender.
I'm anxious to get out, but we still have some snow on the ground.  Low 40s and rain today, has most of it melted off though

Offline foxfx

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 09:06:46 AM »
nice job.  I'm anxious to start whacking some hogs. 

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 09:48:19 AM »
Looks like he is bringing it!  Congrats Ben.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
Looks like he is bringing it!  Congrats Ben.

I only see 4
And the runner don't count
Nothin " brought"
I can get 4 in an hour :P :P  :P

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 02:08:13 PM »
I wasnt going to count the runner anyhow. The handgun kill ought to give me bonus points i think.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 02:33:49 PM »
The proof is in the pudding.  Havn't seen anything from the king yet.