Author Topic: Starlings, English Sparrows, and Rat Pigeons  (Read 2278 times)

uncle buck

Starlings, English Sparrows, and Rat Pigeons
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
I know in Pa we are allowed to shoot subject birds... I often wondered if....Starlings would also eat a lot of insects and might be good.  However just watching them.....Starlings and English Sparrows... Kind of aggressive critters to other song birds... Kind of the bullies who push all others away from  the feeders and I suppose they get into our song bird nest take them over and even destroy the the eggs of the song birds..

Funny.....Heard tell That some nut started the populations of Starlings and English Sparrows by placing two each of every bird that were in Shakespeare Plays in Central Park...I don't know if this is true or not???????

Many times you see pigeons fly around farmers field...Me I don't shoot them...However most are what I call rat pigions...They live wild and stay in the farmers barns... Probably defecate all over the farmers grain inside....  I use to have a few pigeons when I was a kid and new a few people that raised them...Kind of figure what if the pigeons are not the rat pigeons that live wild in barns??  however most cases they are. You can see them land in the nearby farmers barn... Bird droppings....That stuff does cause  all kinds of diesease...

I suppose if the PGC allowed us to use pellet guns or BB guns I would have  shot a few Starlings and English Sparrows.. me I would rather hunt crows in season or chucks or coyotes in the off season.
I remember way back in the late 50's and early 60's one could hunt hawks, Great Horned Owls,  Blue Jaws,  King Fishers, and even  chippies...
Why They, the PGC even gave people money for shooting Great Horned Owls...I think it was a $2.00 bounty.. However so was fox too.. their was a bounty on them too but nice that they are protected now in the off season...

Predator hunters  with a furtakers license can hunt possum, skunk, and weasel in the off season... However you have to call them in with a mouth or hand call... electronics are not legal for these three critters. Also no Sunday hunting either...Also  I said hunt not trap!!!!!