Author Topic: Baiting......Coyotes only  (Read 2389 times)

uncle buck

Baiting......Coyotes only
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:49:49 PM »
I hope I get this right?  You can only bait (actual food)  for coyotes but you can use an rabbit decoy now for all predators?  Is this true?  You are now legal to use a motion, electric, battery, for example rabbit for let say fox?

I remember hearing stories of hunter putting cheapo pizza out in fields to hunt crows... If they did this in Pa then that would be baiting and not legal..

Also you all remember the guys that rolled out that fake grass carapet in a snow field and all were fined for hunting geese with the fake food grass...In this case an actual grass carpet that people place on their patio or deck...

I remember when you could use a fox mount for fox but not if the fox had a grouse in it's mouth. The grouse would be considered food and at that time that was not legal.  However the fox decoyo alone was legal because you were not attracting the fox for food.  You triggered the sex drive in the fox and that was OK to shoot them for that.

Anyway I placed this under the varmint area just to remind people that probably if you did bait for crows you are breaking the law!!!!!!   

uncle buck

Re: Baiting......Coyotes only
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:56:22 PM »
I heard this story passed on to me.  These guys knew coyotes were in the area.  So they chained bait to the trees.  They were hoping to return in a few days to hunt over the bait. However what really happened is as soon as they placed the bait there.  The coyotes showed shortly there after....Probably with in a short time frame and ate all the bait before the hunters even returned.

I understand then they did it again...Chained the bait to the tree.  Same exact thing happened again....So if you know there are coyotes in the area....Suggest that you post by that bait pile that same day. 

We all have heard stories of someone shooting a deer. Then departing to go get a vehcile to haul it out (John Derr Tractpr tp be specific).  They arrived back within about 1/2 hour. The coyotes were all ready eating the deer.  By the way this happened in York County and at the time it was not even noted for large populations of coyotes......

Baiting....If They Are There!!!!They Will Come!!!!!!!!!!!They Also Will Come Arrive  Fast Too!!!!!!!

Offline corey26

Re: Baiting......Coyotes only
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:02:18 PM »
Yep any decoy can be used for predators of any kind but baiting is for coyotes only. The cheapo pizza
would be considered baiting which is illegal for crows. You don't need to bait crows anyway, learn how
to call them and set up right so they don't see you and they come in low enough for good shooting.
Proud member of the PPHA