Author Topic: STAND APPROACH AND COYOTE KNOWLEDGE  (Read 2344 times)

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
STAND APPROACH AND COYOTE KNOWLEDGE
« on: January 02, 2018, 02:06:37 PM »
Hi all, hope this post doesn't offend anybody just looking for any thought on this topic. I have asked and read about a lot of tips and helpful info. on here. One that leaves me wondering if someone's response to approaching a coyote as quiet as possible and not being seen. This is my thought on this if I have the wind in my favor and I still spook an animal that sees or hears me it may or may not leave depends on how close I am if they do run off it's not far once I get set up I always set quiet for 5-10 min. before starting my calling to me that coyote sees or hears something it's on alert and does not identify it as a danger they may move off or try to get downwind but they don't know that I am that human that's going to take them out. Give me your feedback on this. 

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: STAND APPROACH AND COYOTE KNOWLEDGE
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 05:05:13 PM »
If you’re hunting an area Where you’ve called coyotes before it pretty much know where they are at,  I think you’re dead in.  Approach down wind,  try to be quiet, and get set up as you’ve stated.  If it’s a new area,  I hunt my way in.  I never assume where they are at or should be.  I’ve already walked into a stand only to find out I walked passed the coyotes.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: STAND APPROACH AND COYOTE KNOWLEDGE
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:59:26 PM »
The best thing is to only go in far enough to set up at a spot you picked before you hunt. The more you walk around looking for a stand is bad. I never let the woods calm down if I did not mess up on the way in. Call right away!  The longer you set there the more your sent spreads out and lowers your chances.
As far as spooking a coyote, each would have to be judged whether to stay and call or just comeback another way or time.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!