Author Topic: Trapping: Is It Something That You Can Simply Get Into?  (Read 3070 times)

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Trapping: Is It Something That You Can Simply Get Into?
« on: December 10, 2017, 12:18:59 PM »
I don't know why but I'm sitting here thinking about giving trapping a try. I'm not looking to make money or kill everything, just simply have fun doing it.

To get started, other than some equipment, is trapping something that you can just up and get into?  Watch a few videos, ask a ton of questions, learn from your mistakes, and yet have some successes which feed the drive?

Chad

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: Trapping: Is It Something That You Can Simply Get Into?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 12:37:59 PM »
What would be a list of gear that I should think about acquiring to get minimally stared on a budget? For bobcat, fox, coyotes, coob, opossum, etc...

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:35:56 AM »
Yes it is.  I would educate yourself and build supplies for next year though.  When I have the time I can give you a list of basic supplies but you will learn as you go that you can do without some and need others.  There are a ton of ways to do things.  Maybe a phone conversation would be better if you are up for that just PM me your phone number and I will let you know when I can call.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »
Thanks Fur, I appreciate it. I'll send you a PM in the next few days when I get a chance to talk.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 06:46:27 AM »
I'll get into this later, too, as Lookn4fur said.

First, I would try to ride-a-long with a trapper, this season. Or talk with a local trapper & ask questions. Tell him you are interested and would like some help starting out. That may give you a jump start.
You may want to give Cable Restraints a try at first? An inexpensive way to trap. An efficient way to trap.

I'll pm you later, also

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 10:20:45 AM »
Thank you Hern