Author Topic: Coyote hunting  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Bill

Coyote hunting
« on: October 31, 2017, 05:58:42 PM »
Good evening everyone, I have a question concerning a hunting license, if I go out on a strictly coyote hunt, do I need a furbears license as well as my general license? Or can I hunt strictly will my general license? Thank you.

Offline hd833

• PPHA Members
Re: Coyote hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:31:18 PM »
Read the manual. The answer is no.
Only bird **** and Airborne fall from the sky!!!

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 10:57:24 PM »
HD,

Your response makes me think this forum gets asked questions like this a lot?, I didn't have the manual to read, figured I'd go on here and ask.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 07:30:00 AM »
You can hunt Coyotes only with a general license.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 07:50:18 AM »
 :) When dealing with Game laws. Best answer in my book is to contact PGC (very easy to do, front of quick reference you got with license has it all) and ask to speak to WCO where you plan to hunt. They will take your number, he will call you....Like a lot of things with the PGC there is gray area and lot's of "at the discretion of the WCO".....in other words...... YOU DON'T NEED ONE...... but be prepared for stiff questioning about your activity if stopped and especially if you team up with someone who has a fur taker license and shoots some fox for instance....JUST MY OPINION...and welcome aboard and good luck................. 8) BTW and this will not make me real popular with WCO's when you see them set up at sports shows or anywhere...ask them the questions, you always wanted answered........ Payback for when their asking the questions in the middle of the night....LOL.............. 8)

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
Bubba, welcome aboard. You are good to go as far as strictly hunting Coyotes goes. They don't just hand out the manual anymore, have to buy one and wait for the PGC to mail you one. Please feel free to ask any questions you have. We're happy to help a fellow predator hunter out. Good luck with the coyotes!
District 5 coordinator

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 05:56:22 PM »
Foxhound is right I asked that same question this spring so could take my nephew all he needed was his general license.   

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
I always thought you needed one if you are hunting them outside of a big game season. So if you are our deer or bear hunting and you see one you can shoot it. But you can't just go out out of season or at night for them. That is just was I was told. Didn't ask PGC or anyone of law enforcement. I always get one to hi t fox anyway so it didn't affect me.

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
Correct. If you are out deer or bear hunting and see a coyote you can shoot it. However, you are not allowed to be out calling for coyote during deer or bear season, until after "legal shooting hours" for deer or bear. So, no actively calling or purposely hunting them until after sunset during any big game firearm season. If you're legally licensed to hunt deer or bear and have valid tags remaining unused, you can shoot a coyote that happens to cross your path. Sorry for the long winded explanation. The hunting digest seems to leave gray areas for a lot of people.
District 5 coordinator

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »
It leaves gray area all over so they can get you on something.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 06:31:27 AM »
A lot of incorrect information given above..   

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 07:36:49 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( I agree Scott...to all please refer to page #58 of the Hunting and Trapping Digest... it is in print "A furtaker license is not required to hunt coyotes, but is required to trap them"...Pretty simple English folks!!
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 08:15:45 AM »
It is simple. But certain situations change the answer.   Do you need a Furtakers license to hunting coyotes in the regular deer or bear season.   No.....    But if you tag out on bear and deer then you need a furtakers license to hunt coyotes during that time...   

Do I need a furtaker License to hunt coyotes at night.   No....   But my buddy is going and has one and is going to shoot fox...   then maybe...   letter of the law.   If I go out and call just for coyotes and my buddy comes along that has a furtakers license and shoots a fox that I called in, then I am illegal because by the letter of the law I just participated in a hunt that I didn't have a license for..   Now if I had the ft lic and did the calling and I killed the fox I am legal, no matter what a GC says but you better stick to your story... lol.   

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 08:24:02 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D I think by the time you wear your fingers out typing all this you could have spent $20.90 for a Furtakers License and been covered for all bases. Why leave things to be questioned in the field?  :P :P :P :P I personally operate off the KISS program; "Keep It Simple Stupid" and it has worked for me for 54 years of hunting/trapping  ;) ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 08:34:26 AM »
I agree, get the license and shoot a couple of fox to cover the cost.   anyone I take needs a furtakers license when hunting at night during fox season because I don't want to deal with it..