Author Topic: ?story -September Coyote Hunt -stories?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
?story -September Coyote Hunt -stories?
« on: September 26, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »
I enjoy hearing 'the hunt, the kill' stories. Gun, ammo, call, set up, time, weather, etc..
Would you successful hunters of the September hunt, please tell us your hunt story?
Or if you missed or didn't get a shot? I'd like to hear.
Thank you.

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: ?story -September Coyote Hunt -stories?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:10:47 PM »
My brother in law (timberdog) hunted together in this hunt. The kill happens Sunday morning at daylight. actully it started about 20 min before daylight. Timberdog started off with some lone howled then I joined in. After that a went into pup distress it was not long timberdog said here comes one then then he loses eyes. I do pup distress again it was not long he says again I have eyes and it's coming then he loses it again. After another series of pup distress and one series of bunny blues nothing. Well now it's daylight and we started taking about what had happen. Then timberdog says to your left he's standing there. So I pull up The 22-250 and put a 52 grain Berger through him. 

Made probably a total of six stands during this hunt.
Calls where used
 Timberdog  competition howler
 Me.  Blackout howler
        3 reed double slash
        Pup screamer

All in all it was a good time. Had to deal with fog on both nights and early mornings along with standing crops but that is early coyote hunting. Planning on doing one for next year.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:18:51 PM »
 Brushwolf,  thanks for sharing.  Many of our members join to become better predator hunters, or are new to the sport and simply looking for guidance.  It's great to see the pics, but I'm sure most of our readers enjoy the stories behind the kills......  myself included.

Congratulations on your success and many thanks for sharing the story!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 11:05:04 PM »
I made a total of 4 stands. Two between 1:30am and 3:30am Saturday morning and two between 11pm and 1am Saturday night into Sunday morning. The first two were on a farm I've had luck on before. But like most everyone else the crops made locations tricky. I had no takers. The successful stand was at about 11:20 Saturday night. This farm had meadows and cut hay in the back of chicken houses. Coyote fell to a combination of a Primos call and a Nordik PlainPain, both making pup/coyote distress sounds. Shooting 40gr Vmax factory loads out of a .204... Coyote didn't take another step. I did revisit the farm from Saturday morning but again had no luck.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:11:17 PM by QUATTRO »
PPHA President

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 11:54:46 PM »
Quattro,  I share your choice in caliber.  I've never had  a coyote get away from me with my 204.  I use Hornady 40 gr bullistic tips.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 07:00:18 AM »
Thanks guys. Neat stuff.
Congratulations again.

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 07:31:04 AM »
Quattro,  I share your choice in caliber.  I've never had  a coyote get away from me with my 204.  I use Hornady 40 gr bullistic tips.

Yeah it's a good little caliber.. I have taken coyote with the 32 grain as well.. I think the furthest one ever ran was maybe 20 yards.. both the 40 and the 32 shoot well out of my gun. I shot this particular coyote as he was quartering away just behind the front leg.. all but in the crease of it.. at less than 100 yds..DRT
PPHA President

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 07:42:36 AM »
 :) Great stories thanks for sharing  ;D Quattro was that the condensed version of your story?  ??? ??? The version you told Moose and I you had to low crawl through a swamp and climb a 40ft tree with no limbs to see over the corn  :o :o..I sort of liked the LONG-LONG.....LONG version better...LOL...  ::) ::)................. 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:36:40 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Funny how those stories change  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ LOL  ::) ::) ::) thanx for sharing!!
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member