Author Topic: Diaphragm Calls  (Read 2902 times)

Offline 12ga_Rage

• PPHA Members
Diaphragm Calls
« on: August 28, 2017, 12:45:41 PM »
I prefer to use Diaphragm Calls when using coyote vocals. Ive tried a few brands but my go-to is MFK Calls. What im wondering is does anyone else use diaphragms and what are some other brands if so!? Im looking to try some other brands so im hoping i could get some first hand input on some other companies or maybe someone knows someone who makes them..

Brands I have used are MFK, Hunters Specialties - Johnny Stewart and Foxpro. I did not care for the Foxpro brand, the Johnny Stewarts were ok but felt cheaply made and didnt hold up very long and the MFK's seem to be the best made they hold up for a very long time and the tones I can achieve sound really good.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Diaphragm Calls
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »
I've tried diaphragm calls but I'm just not able to master them.  I use the ELK and Bees O'Brien calls mostly.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »
I have the foxpro diagrams. I'm not very good with them.  I know Brushwolf has good things to say about MFK calls.
District 5 coordinator

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:46:29 PM »
I personally  like the MFK diaphragm calls. I also tried the ones that you mention but I prefer the sounds I get from the MFK then the other brands. Like you also mention they seem to hold up longer. But that's jmo.

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:49:19 PM »
I use Hunters Specialty and have had luck with.  I haven't try any other to compare them to. Been thinking bout giving MFK a try,just can't decide on which one to order.

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »
Chief, the blackout howler and the new howling mofo are great sounding calls. Just don't ask me to demonstrate. Haha
District 5 coordinator

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 06:38:51 AM »
If your looking for a howler. Well that's going be a tough one. U should be able to blow any of them since you have experience with the diaphragms but picking a favorite good luck. I started with the pup then went to the competition  and like it better then decided to get the blackout and stuck with that one.  Thinking about trying the mofo for the hunt coming up but if I am I got to get an order in soon. If your looking for a distress I really like the 3 reed double slash.   
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:49:41 AM by Brushwolf »

Offline 12ga_Rage

• PPHA Members
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:17:50 PM »
Yeah it's hard to pick one haha, I own then all. The one I use the most is the Dog Soldier one. It's damn near wore out I use it so much but I've had it for 3 years and still going strong. If your just starting out a single reed is obviously easier to use. And once you learn to use them you can get higher and lower tones even with multiple reeds with different tongue pressures
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:21:37 PM by 12ga_Rage »