Author Topic: last nights hunt was a bust but,  (Read 4509 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
last nights hunt was a bust but,
« on: November 03, 2007, 08:38:33 AM »
the way it looks I got a hunting partner to hunt with at night.  last night we made 5 stands and had one bust us as soon as we turned on the call.  we walked in on a road that I have allways used.  might need to change up tactics next time.  next stand we were calling for 12 min and decided that we were in allright grey territory so I turned on the new grey fox distress.  a minuted later we had rustling of leaves and flickin of eyes.  I was trying to get my partner to get a shot because he has never killed a grey he is from montgomery county and they have mainly reds there.  as I was trying to direct him to where he was the grey relized something was not right and turned.  as soon as he turned I shot and missed.  went to another field where a farmer has had reds stealing chickens and ducks.  we started out in the field and picked up eyes as soon as we got out of the truck.  we had to walk out in to the field about 100 yds to get out of a safty zone.  as I called nothing came in.  we turned back to the truck thinkin maybe the fox had allready went to the other side of the farm and decided to try the other side.  about 20 ft away from the truck I scanned one more time and picked up eyes about 300 yds away.  I was using one of those 6 volt eveready's.  so we started calling to see what he would do.  nothing he got up and left and showed himself every 20 or so yds.  so we decided to go to the other side of the farm and intercept him.  we did so and no dice.  we picked up and decided to make one more stand.  went up tight to the mountian and started calling.  about 15 min into the stand the caller keeps shutting off with the grey fox distress going.  in the meantime we had something come in and we got between him and a couple pole lights.  as we were walking out we checked to other side of the stream that we were calling close to and sur nuf had a pair of greys standin lookin at us.  so I was wonderin do greys pair up this early?  anyhow we had another good callin night.  but no fur on the ground.  but I definately think we have another night hunter.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

tom p

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 09:25:27 AM »
Ben----red fox are loners---grey fox are social animals--you can have up to 6 grey fox using the same den site.  greys are paired up all year round.
ive called as many as 4 greys at a single stand.  doubles on grey are very common in good grey fox territory.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 10:42:09 AM »
thanks for the info tom.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Bluedog

Re: last nights hunt was a bust but,
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 06:08:26 PM »
Ben, we gotta get out man...Let me know when works 4 u.
A 1 inch group at 100 yards.....dont mean nothin.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 01:48:46 PM »
Sounds like a good night Ben.  You'll be puttin them down soon.  I was going to call you last night to see if you wanted to hunt.  Go figure.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 10:47:38 AM »
this is a year old fellas.  I have not been out hunting in over a month.  someone save me?  LOL.  I have a few hunts coming up but between all the nights I could have went out over the holidays it was rainin so bad or windy I never worried about it.  I shoulda went out friday night but had to get up at 4 to head north. 

Offline Lackawannafox

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 11:11:03 AM »
Ben greys are always together.I think a pair mate for life

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 04:21:27 PM »
Just got back from Clearfield. county hunt. Funny you said that. I called in 5 gray Fox last night. Two pairs and one single. They must be pairing up for breeding season. All called in with rabbit call. TWEETY split reed and Scorpion Foxpro. All my foxes taken with rifles. Hunted till 5am. YES, I DO MIS. I missed one at 50 yards. LOL

NUMBER 17
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 04:37:24 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 07:19:47 PM »
Greys live, eat and travel in a small area. If their population is good, you will call in multiplies from time to time.

Offline Lackawannafox

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 08:47:43 PM »
Last year I called in 4 at the same stand 3 came in from the front and one from the back.WOW!talk about excitement