Author Topic: One less dumb one....  (Read 5793 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: One less dumb one....
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »
I can't help but think if there are only 3 pairs, and each pair has 4 pups,  the population is going to increase real fast.

That's why I feel the population is stable and not increase.
A certain percentage of the 3 pair's pups will not live to be adults either.
Jake, you say 3 pair so I'm using that, on your experience. The 3 pair know the 'holding capacity' of their territory. 12 new pups will not hurt chances of survival for the Alpha's. That show FOOD & Cover is available for 12 more Coyotes until dispersal.

Things can change and leave you scratching your head...
Now you have a lone Alpha male. He will look for another mate. This may take him from this area and may never return. The attending female may do the same.
Another Alpha females (one of the 3 pairs) may be shot or road killed. Pups will die. Alpha male may do same as the first.
Many variables. And pointing out some examples...'what happened? where are they?'
But the area does hold Coyotes now. And should continue to support Coyotes. Just pointing out there may be ups and downs in the populations from time to time.

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »
Way to go Jake I have been pushing hard the last 2 weeks one property owner is seeing them in is yard tormenting is dog had 1 in 1 time did not get the shot still at it, again good shooting.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 08:57:12 PM »
Thanks everyone
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »
Hern,   If I had to guess,  I'd say there are more than 3 pairs.  3 is probably a pretty conservative number .  I'm basing that on what I've heard, seen and already killed from this spot.  I've taken probably 6 coyotes out of this spot in the past year
Jake
York, PA

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 08:21:53 AM »
It seems to me that four pups is kinda low but then again I did not know 5 was the average.  If I was a betting man I would say only one of those pups would have survived to maturity and that pup would be real lucky.  I know the spot Jake hunts and most areas below rte80 are small (to a coyote) tracts of broken terrain.  This increases the odds of mortality.  Then again coyotes have proven themselves as being very adaptable.  Even with Jake taking these five out of the picture I feel the population will remain stable at this location based on the activity there.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 09:48:58 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D And that's straight from the ?? ....Whoose Yo Daddy!!  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 02:12:21 PM »
One out of 4 pups surviving.......  is that because you know I'm in there hunting them !!!  LOL
Jake
York, PA

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »
In that case it would be 100% survival.  Lol
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Dominoh

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 01:46:28 AM »
Nice, that's a big one!

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 08:36:15 PM »
Great job Jake....and Hern thankyou for that info...
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member