Author Topic: Odd gait bobcat  (Read 4551 times)

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Odd gait bobcat
« on: March 06, 2017, 10:38:11 AM »
Took these pictures while I was scouting for bobcat the first week of January. Thought the gait of this bobcat was unlike others I have seen. Perhaps it was stalking??
PPHA President

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Odd gait bobcat
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »
Hey QUATTRO!  Hopefully some of the guys will have knowledge about this. I know we talked about it, but I've never seen a bobcat move like that. I'm leaning towards possibly injured at one time. Curious to hear other opinions.
District 5 coordinator

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »
This is a guess as I really do not know the answer but I think it's the track of the same cat but at different times.  cats will take the same trails over and over in their territory and even walk in the same tracks at times.  They will walk the same logs and cross at the same spots.  I have trapped a lot of cats over the years and these places are good to set traps or even call.  Think of the traditional gait that staggers slightly.  Now add the same gait beside it and they cross over each other slightly.  Love to hear what Hern says about this.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:32:28 PM »
L4F that's definitely a good guess. Quattro sent me a couple different pics of this. The tracks "appear" to be made about the same time. What about the possibility of litter mates that are still hanging together?  Curious to hear Hern's take on it also.
District 5 coordinator

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »
This is a guess as I really do not know the answer but I think it's the track of the same cat but at different times.  cats will take the same trails over and over in their territory and even walk in the same tracks at times.  They will walk the same logs and cross at the same spots.  I have trapped a lot of cats over the years and these places are good to set traps or even call.  Think of the traditional gait that staggers slightly.  Now add the same gait beside it and they cross over each other slightly.  Love to hear what Hern says about this.

That's a great guess if you ask me..To add a little more info, this snow was no more than 12 hrs old..It had snowed the night before..Hence the reason I went up to scout that morning..So, if your theory is correct, which it does make perfect sense, that cat had made two laps in that time frame..
PPHA President

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 01:18:52 PM »
I must admit I'm a little embarrassed by my original post... Looking back on it, for that track pattern to be made by a single animal in one stride isn't very logical..
PPHA President

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »
Don't be embarrassed.  I can't catch a Fisher!  That's embarrassing! ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 02:40:17 PM »
Looks like a bobcat stalking something to me.
But with out seeing were the tracks changed back to a normal gant hard to prove.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »
Why drag me on this? ;D
I agree with Lookn4tracks & foxhound. Two Bobcats or same one circled.

...Or there's an eight footed Bobcat in that area!

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 03:36:34 PM »
I'm gonna go crawl under a rock now..
PPHA President

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »
I would like to see were the tracks changed from one cat to two cats. Or were the gant changed.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 06:29:01 AM »
 :) Quattro forget the rock  :( LookN4aFisher is already under there  :P ....I think it looked like a Kitten sized Bobcat carrying a BIG Fisher it caught!  ;D Probably ended up at the Taxidermist  :o :o   Tracker Goose what say you  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\......almost everything can catch a Fisher, well almost everything............. 8)

L$F: "This is a guess as I really do not know the answer".......................the truth for a change ....how refreshing to see a new you..... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 07:06:04 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D My 2¢,  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? it was an ambidextrous cat going both ways at once to corn fuse ya'll  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) Maybe this was March fools day?  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ IDK
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 09:24:43 AM »
Jasper1
That is a good post on the tracks. Lots of good information and facts.  How did you know it was a kitten size bobcat and not just the runt of the litter that year.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle