Author Topic: Tag along  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Scuttle904

Tag along
« on: February 25, 2017, 06:44:32 PM »
Any of you seasoned veteran callers out there in eastern PA want to take a newbie along coyote hunting to observe one night? I have been calling for 2 years now with no success. Had a few bark/howl back at me but no success even seeing one. Only thing I have called in thus far is 1 bobcat. 

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Tag along
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:05:24 AM »
Coyotes are one of, if not the toughest animals I've hunted.  Don't get discouraged.  Keep putting in your time.  There is no super secret sound to calling coyotes.  What works today may not work tomorrow.  Just remember the basics.....   Scent control, watch your wind, and don't over call.  Those are a few tips I have.  Perhaps others can share more.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 01:09:26 PM »
How many sets have u made in 2 years for strictly coyotes???

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »
Way too many to count!!  I read one time  it takes an average of 15-20 sets before calling a coyote.  That doesn't mean getting a shot or putting it down.  Many times I've called a coyote in and only caught eyes for only seconds, then never  seen it again....  gone!!  Don't discount you are possibly calling one in but never see it.  I've called coyotes where I could see the grass and high weeds moving but never actually saw the coyote.  Then it would retreat a safe distance and sit there and bark at me.  Many coyotes will circle 100-200 yards before coming any closer.  If you're not at the right place to see them.... you're going to feel like it was an empty set when it actually wasn't.  Many will come in silent too.

It's s numbers game.  I know a lot of people who have hunted them for years and never put one down.
Jake
York, PA

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 05:54:59 PM »
.... you're going to feel like it was an empty set when it actually wasn't.
Don't discount you are possibly calling one in but never see it.
'jake, how true.
I've been saying something like that for years. Years back, most Pennsylvania folks were calling Fox. Me included. Back then, We all were calling Coyotes in and never knew it. As Coyote population grew, we began to target Coyotes. We learned about Coyote behavior, home range, scouting & what sounds to use.
We made mistakes, learned, made more mistakes, but learned and progressed. We came a long way. Coyotes still give me the slip...lol.

I tell folks I kill the dumb ones.
Scuttle904, maybe you don't have any dumb Coyotes?
I tell folks if they want to kill their first Coyote...to hunt in September or October. Pups are young & dumb and respond to calls.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:59:09 PM by Hern »

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 07:26:34 PM »
So true Hern.  The more fox and coyote hunter there are, the smarter they get.  There is more and more pressure in the wood compared to just a few years ago.  There aren't to many coyotes now that haven't been educated !!
Jake
York, PA

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 10:29:15 PM »
I am not as experienced as Jake and Hern but one thing I have learned is there is no replacement for scouting and learning what areas are worth putting the time into and which ones aren't.. and also learning when to hunt certain spots. Some hold at different times. So much time can be spent in areas that simply do not have a worth while amount...and that can add to your dry spell. I know I was so eager to hunt and get that first coyote that I would call just about anywhere..Problem was I was calling to nothing..I'd rather have 5 good coyote spots as opposed to 50 that have nothing. Once you are confident you have good areas then all the other work begins. There is never a guarantee even when you know they are around. That being said, it will happen for you if you stick with it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:36:26 PM by QUATTRO »
PPHA President

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 09:50:39 AM »
Scuttle904 I have been calling coyote 11-12 years now hoked up with a buddy 6 years ago, this season alone have made 46 stands that"s from SEPT to now still have MARCH and some of APRIL yet I do keep record of all my sets time, place,callin,kills,missed shot,sound,response no show,location, Misterjake and Hern some it the same from me just keep after them it will happen. This time of year is harder been called to all winter I use very little calling and lots of quiet scanning 2-3 howls to start 15min or so then maybe barkhowls or yodelhowl quiet 15-20min I always end with pup or yote distress over 60% of time they come in after 30min time all of my sets are 45-60min long just what been working for me.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 12:16:32 PM »
Quattro,   So true when you said about scouting.  As we all know a coyote isn't always in the same spot all the time.  Most run a 2-3 week cycle from what I've seen.  Unless you do your home work,  like you said,  you'll be calling to nothing.  You can't call in what's not there.
Jake
York, PA

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »
Scuttle904, are you still with us?
I agree with the above suggestions, scouting and keeping to the basics.
I will suggest finding more hunting spots.

One thing that doesn't seem basic to most folks is covering more territory.
Years ago, I did an un-official survey (for my own research) on how far a predator hunter, hunts from his house. The answer was 10-15 miles from home.
Pretty much parts of 2 or 3 townships.
Here's an example of a small territory and larger territory...
How many Coyote are in those overlapping townships? Lets say there are 6-8 Coyotes in that hunt area you are calling and working on near home.
If you increase your hunting territory by 5 times the distance traveled from home, you are now working on 30-40 Coyotes.
Yes, you must get more permission, you have to travel, you have to do more scouting.
It's simple math. More territory equals more Coyotes encountered.
Same applies to Fox & Coon.