Author Topic: Advice or tips on daytime setup  (Read 3341 times)

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
Advice or tips on daytime setup
« on: February 15, 2017, 09:23:16 AM »
I entered the Sullivan County coyote hunt I would like some tips on how you all setup for daytime calling I have called daytime not much luck on yotes. Most of my hunting is at night I will be calling then to. Last night on 2 stands I had them talking they just do not want to come in most all my properties have woods or brushy land. Thanks for any response.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Advice or tips on daytime setup
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:19:00 AM »
I try to stay in shallows and let the sun in the Coyote's eyes. If that is possible.
So I play the sun as much as I can. And some setups, that's not possible.
Try setups you can see from longer distance, if possible. If you spot Coyote early, you may have time to adjust your gun or body. You may be able to 'read' what Coyote is going to do next.
It's common sense and woodsmenship. Just like Turkey or Deer hunting. You want setups to your advantage.

Pre-scout your spots. Look for good setups.

If Coyote is moving/trotting, you can get away with slow movement to adjust. If Coyote is standing & looking, don't move.

Use a partner. Place him where Coyotes 'hang up'. You call from original spot, Coyotes will be in partners lap.
Time to kill those hung up Coyotes.
My best to you. Keep us posted on your results.

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:24:36 AM »
Thanks Hern the one mountain area is 2 mile or so wind is west north west most time I will do morning with sun at my back, only other question I have is how far between sets.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:59:25 AM »
That question, I can't answer.
Maybe someone else can answer that.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 12:50:05 PM »
Thats a crap shoot.  It's all relevant to the coyotes position if they are even in the area? 

Things like Terrain, Wind, Property Access and Call Volume at your last set should all be considered.  There is no definitive answer.

If you played your cards right with no response you could even hunt that exact same spot again a little later in the day or night.

If they are vocal but hung up for some reason try waiting them out in silence.  Maybe they are hung up for some unknown reason like a stream, road or cliff.  If they are vocal you know where they are so try to move on them.  Back out and come in from the other side but don't get too close they will be on high alert now.  Use a different call strategy if you do this.  Don't give them what they already heard.

All that being said, I try to put at least a mile between sets for coyote.  Good Luck........Tim

"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 07:27:11 AM »
Thanks Lookn4Fur I have hunted this 1 area mostly at night always setup in fields this I think is a core area every year there are young seen and killed Tuesday night I had them talking but no show there are 3 gas pipelines that run along this mountain side I do have permission to hunt it all. What daytime hunting I have done mostly used distress sounds a little howling early morning and late before dark I will be hunting most all day plain on trying different sounds.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 05:05:49 AM »
 :) Did you have any responses?............ 8)

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 05:52:06 PM »
Try a decoy during the day.  I use a fawn made by Flambeau.  It will move with the wind.  I also put a mojo crazy critter behind it to make it look like it's tail fluttering.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 06:45:40 PM »
jaspr1 I have had response some times at daylight. Misterjake I have a foxjack on my call plan on using it my take husy hare Montana decoy to this is the first hunt I have ever entered just going to give it a try Thanks for all the tips.

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 09:11:07 AM »
Here are the results from coyote hunt I was in, I did not get any did have one in got my wind before I could get the shot off. There were 25 yotes weighted in heaviest was 49.1lb killed in Sullivan County using dogs there was 6 that were called in this is a very well run hunt been going on for 13 years I"ll be entering next year.