Author Topic: Anyone using this...  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Anyone using this...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:07:54 PM »
 :( :( :( :( Good golly  :o :o :o :o I'm on a fixed income  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ Can't afford a toy like that  :P :P :P :P :P
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 10:21:23 PM »
I liked the concept of it, but was skeptical of how well it would work for game retrieval with such a tiny camera. How far of an effective range could such a tiny camera have?!?!  I clicked on the one customer review it had. Enough said...   :( :( :(
District 5 coordinator

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 03:47:01 AM »
I think the PA Game commission may frown on you using one.  They may interpret that as an illegal electronic device used in the commission of finding, locating, or recovering game........   and  I'm sure if you ask three different WCO"s,  you'll get three different answers.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:27:37 AM »
I don't know the range. Just wanted to know if anyone is using this technology.
Years back, our son had a good device. We used it in Montana. I found trapped Bobcat & Coyote that trap was attached to drag. I told him that would be neat to use for game recovery for calling and even Deer hunting, at times.
It was always in the pickup and used when needed.

Jake, I have no clue about being legal in Pa.
Someone told me thermal imaging is legal on gun, in Pa.
I think it was Sherry 'Crow Woman' Batey. Her son-in-law was selling thermal imaging for hunting, at the Renovo Sportsmen Show.
I don't know if it's legal or not. But I would certainly call the PGC before I purchased one of these devices.

On another note...
I had my nephew use his Drone to scout some nuisance  Beaver dams on private property.
It saved alot of footwork. But I don't know if that's legal.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 12:06:11 PM »
Hern, you are correct it was Sherry Baity.  I am pretty sure thermal is illegal here in PA (see below).  She pushes NiteSite and uses them (probably a sponsor).  I wish it was legal even though I can't afford a good one.

Night Vision: Not Allowed, According to our Bureau of Wildlife Protection, night vision devices are specifically prohibited for hunting anything in Pennsylvania under the general prohibition against “Electronic Contrivances” as contained in Title 58 section 141.6 Illegal Devices subsection (6) Hunt or take wildlife through the use of an electronic device not permitted by commission regulation. The only exception is contained in Title 34 section 2308 (b) (i) Any archery sight or firearms scope which contains and uses any mechanical, photoelectric, ultraviolet, or solar powered device to solely illuminate the sight or crosshairs within the scope, which essentially makes any night vision scopes illegal as they do more than “solely illuminate the crosshairs.”
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
Technically,  even a laser range finder is illegal.....but every hunter in the woods uses one!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »
I believe the game commission changed that this year Jake. You are correct though.Prior to this year they were considered illegal and most guys used them.
District 5 coordinator

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »
Yes, I am aware of that.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!