Author Topic: Fooling critters like the injuns did  (Read 1710 times)

uncle buck

Fooling critters like the injuns did
« on: February 26, 2016, 09:05:25 PM »
My son gets a kick out of me because when we are deer hunting and I see him in the distance I will go into the Elmer Fudd stalk... However I add a little bit to much Elmer into the stalk when I see him... However when I get a chance to hunt private lands I do stalk deer in woodlots and have killed a few doe for the freezer... So if there is no snow I will take 4 steps and stop... 4 steps and stop... I'm hunting with the wind in my face when I'm doing this...  Neat thing all of a sudden a deer will rise from the cover and be somewhat hunched up .. going from the laying position and trying to get to the standing position.. then you have to pop them one with a shot to the vital... Last one I stalked I shot her at 30 yards... See she thought I was just another deer coming through.. they have   4 legs so if they hear 4 steps they think your a deer...Now I wonder if a fox and or coyote would think the same thing? that the 4 steps is just a critter coming along... Now I'm going to add some more here that I learn at the seminar on deer hunting... If there is snow you take 3 steps and level out..three more steps and level out. etc etc..If there is crusty snow you take two steps and level out.. see the first step with your toe and then the heel down in the back again first step with your heel and then step with the back of your foot to break the crusty snow..  In crusty snow this is suppose to sound like 4 steps of a deer walking in.  What a rewarding feeling to bag a deer by taking the 4 steps and make them think your just another deer.. I truly need to get me a open sighted lever action.. The couple doe that I bagged like this I got with an Encore 3006..  I do have a  35 Rem with a scope that I use when I stand hunt and wow I like that gun big time...I recently took a  2 power scope off of an  18 inch smoothbore cylinder Model 37 Deerslayer barrel.. I'm using that now for deep woods coyote hunting and will try that for stalking deer. No scope just aiming that front sight and shooting at deer... I tried to analyze why in snow you would just take three steps and level out.. Is the slide of the boot on the snow suppose to be a 4 step?