Author Topic: Red dot scopes....  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Red dot scopes....
« on: December 21, 2015, 08:39:17 AM »
     I was curious as to how many hunters use a red dot scope to night hunt with?  What's the advantages and dis advantages?  Is the red dot to big to really focus in on the eyes of a fox,  does the red dot cover to much area on a fox to focus on head shots?   If I put the red dot on the head of a fox,  will it cover the entire head or can I actually center the dot between the eyes?   I assume they have a battery to illuminate the red dot,  how long does it last?
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Red dot scopes....
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:16:16 AM »
 :) :) :) Jake to each his own but I must say first ..... my experience with a red dot was not the best.... :-[ :-[ :-[..Mine had a very bright dot even when sized down to the smallest size. By that it glowed inside the scope to the point I couldn't see what I wanted to shoot  :o :o :o :o It's off and I'm back to open sights  :) :) :) Turkey hunting daytime they are great, but night hunting is something else....just my experience  :P :P :P :P
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:17:21 AM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 11:49:57 AM »
Thanks Goose.  I appreciate the input.  That was one of my concerns if it would mess up my eyes at night .
Jake
York, PA

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 01:01:59 PM »
Jake, never tried one fox hunting, but I have one on an AR that has a very small dot and is very adjustable as to brightness... the Bushnell TR25 is great, one on the AR, another on the slug gun for deer, and a spare cause the price was right...

I do think it wouldn't be the thing to have for fox at night... the Muellers with the dot makes for very precise shooting at night... just line up the three dots and squeeze it off, DRT... the one thing I don't particularly care for with the Muellers is target shooting in the daylight... in my opinion the dot doesn't have the preciseness of a cross hair...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 04:59:14 PM »
Jake I personally love the red dot now I only tried the Leupold #4 dot. I have two differnt leupolds with them for night hunting and the third one is in the mail.I would not want to hunt at night without one since I started using one the last 8 years. To me it is a sharp dot that has setting that u can have it where u don't know it is on or that is to bright for at night but nice for hunting in the daylight.  As far as how big is the dot. It covers a quarter at 50 yards on like 5 power. At 100 yards it is like 9 or 10 power if I remeber right. At night I can get the red dot in my target very fast.l mostly shoot body shots. Now I will say 98% of my shots are within 50 yards in the kneeling position off a  monopod.I cannot give you any advice using the dot for head shots but I cannot see a problem doing that.

If I was u I would highly recommend you to look through one at night before buying one.  I think u would like one for hunting at night. But like I mention before I rarely take head shots and only can tell you experience with the Leupold. The two scopes I used is both VXlll and the one in the mail is the Firedot all have the # 4 dot.

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »
Also have one (Vortex Strike Fire) on my AR, capable of 1" groups at 100 yards, interchangeable between red & green dot.  The disadvantage, out here, is in the open desert the sun at times can and will fade out the dot.  Shouldn't be a problem in the northern woods.

Brushwolf - I like what you did to that bobcat pelt.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:33:32 PM by coyotejohn »
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 07:48:58 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback everyone
Jake
York, PA