Author Topic: Tips for new coyote hunter  (Read 2913 times)

Offline newzwthy

• PPHA Members
Tips for new coyote hunter
« on: December 08, 2015, 11:04:11 PM »
What is best strategy for coyote newbie hunter?  I really don't want to do late evening hunts so what would basic tips be....and what would be basic equipment/gear list. 

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Tips for new coyote hunter
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:32:14 PM »
if you're planning on hunting daylight, full camo to include gloves and face mask... calls that your comfortable with and a scoped preferably smaller caliber rifle... one of the 17 centerfires, 22 Hornet or bigger, preferably nothing bigger then one of the  6mm's if you're hunting fur...

this may sound a bit vague but not knowing what you have for equipment, experience you have or where you're planning on hunting, it's hard to give more specific suggestions...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Tips for new coyote hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 10:06:44 AM »
What area are you from?  Perhaps you could team up with another member in your area to hunt with.  Having a mentor to show you the ropes is helpful.

It's a legitimate question asked quite often on the boards. After all that's why people join ,  to learn new tips and tactics.  It's also a very broad question.   There is no magic secrete and many variables.  Know your area and know when the dogs are there....  You can't call whats not there.  Know your wind, that's key also.   Most of all be patient.  I once read that on average,  a coyote is called in about once out of every 15-20 sets.   And that's only calling one in.   That doesn't mean getting a shot opportunity or putting the fur down and on the stretcher!!

As Dale said,  day light hunting requires different tactics.  You really have to watch your movement.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!