Author Topic: What's the best howler ?  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
What's the best howler ?
« on: October 02, 2015, 11:09:43 PM »
I was hoping to get some feedback on what howeler guys are using.  I'm looking for a one that is easy to use, but more importantly one that sounds realistic.  I currently use an E.L.K. Howeler.  I find open reed and diaphragm howelers are to hard for me to keep a good even tone.  I also think a lot of open reed howelers sound too much like a rabbit distress than a howeler.

I'm looking for some feedback on recommendations of a good sounding and easy to use howeler.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: What's the best howler ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 10:27:15 AM »
ELK howler is tough to beat in my opinion for sound quality but not real user friendly.The diaphragm used on the Elk  sticks,wrinkes and rolls but when everything is just right they sound awesome.
 The open reed howlers for the most part don't seem to have the realizim  but there are exceptions.I remember hearing Al Morris on an open reed howler at a calling contest once that sounded good to me but I don't remember what it was.It was a custom with a big Texas longhorn that made your ears ring.
 Diaphragm calls are versatile,I carry one in my pocket at all times when hunting.They are inexpensive, easy to carry,sound good and last for years if taken care of.They seem to have good  tone but lack a little volume  which seems to be important when coaxing a PA coyote.My vote at this time for a dedicated howler would be the ELK.   

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 01:04:33 PM »
I've tried a few of the MFK diaphragm callers.  I'm just not talented enough to get the right sound out of one.
Jake
York, PA

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 08:08:41 PM »
I've tried a few of the MFK diaphragm callers.  I'm just not talented enough to get the right sound out of one.

I remember you mentioning to me you had the ELK and liked it..so I bought one as well..wasn't overly hard to get the hang of but I can't get any consistency from it..I also have an MFK, fine for distress, but I apparently lack talent too.. my howls are atrocious..they sound like a tone deaf guy on a broken kazoo..well maybe not that bad but you get the picture.
PPHA President

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 12:01:11 AM »
I guess that's why they make electronic callers,  for untalented guys like me !!
Jake
York, PA

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 09:58:46 AM »
If you cut your own bands from a textured latex glove they last forever. I still have the band on mine from the time i won with it years ago. And it still sounds good.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »
 I got MFK pup howler and Randy Anderson open reeds I do pretty good on hot dog& little dog MFK works best for me. Practice, Practice,Practice took me a long time.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 12:49:13 PM »
Ben,    I was told that if you cut your own be careful what thickness of glove you use.  I was told that the thickness of the band can change the sound pretty drastically.   Did you notice any change in sound when you made your own??
Jake
York, PA

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 09:35:21 AM »
I had to experiment to find a type of glove that worked. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »
To get volume out of a diaphragm, use an amp horn.  They are the most realistic but also the hardest to master.   The ELK howler would be a close second for me but they are really the same type of call just blown differently.  Jake, I have a diaphragm press, email or pm me and we can work up something.  There are a ton of variables.  You just need to find the right mix.

In general, you don't have to sound perfect for hunting, just know when to use the right sounds and know where they are.  But you probably already know that.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 10:26:29 PM »
Jake, how'd that howler rank?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 01:43:56 PM »
Bee's

As you are aware (coz I bought just about every call you make)  I'm not a big fan of open reed calls.  But I have to say the howeler I just got from you was very easy to use and catch on to.  I like how you set the pitch on it also,  I can use it as a pup distress also.  It's definitely a call  I'll have with me at all times.  I really like the acrylic.

You need to run a buy 10 get one free special......  I think I would qualify for a couple !!!  LOL
Jake
York, PA

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 02:43:03 AM »
The acrylic is where it's at..... I may start to steer directions away from wood