Author Topic: Neat video...  (Read 7304 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Neat video...
« on: July 07, 2015, 04:08:56 PM »

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Neat video...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 05:53:34 PM »
Cool video..I know the semi auto topic is buzzing now but honestly if I had to choose one or the other, I'd rather have access to thermal or night vision equipment than a semi...now both on the other hand would be real nice..but who am I kidding..
PPHA President

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 08:05:03 PM »
 ;) Very nice video :o :o :o :o...but now my question is what states allow the use of thermal imaging scopes?? ??? ??? ??? ???
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:55:25 PM »
;) Very nice video :o :o :o :o...but now my question is what states allow the use of thermal imaging scopes?? ??? ??? ??? ???

Hey Goose!  http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/articles.asp?ID=261

PPHA President

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 10:01:09 PM »
Thanks for posting that Hern...It was great entertainment tonight when I was out waiting for ground hogs to pop up !!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 12:01:22 AM »
That looks like a great time!  Thank you Hern!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 07:06:21 AM »
I learn from thesehere night vision videos.
I watch the approach and terrain and can tell which is the downwind side as Coyote makes a swing on approach.
Also how Coyote stay back at times, stand or sit and watch and listen before committing. I've experienced this action many a times.
Years back I hunted Coyote at night and fell flat on my face. I experienced Coyote hanging up way out and swinging down wind.
A friend purchased a night vision scope several years ago (or longer when they first hit the market) and started killing Coyotes at night.  I had a lot of questions for him. He confirmed what I was speculating...Coyotes sit and watch and many swing down wind.
Always enjoy and learn from night vision videos.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:17:33 AM »
Two years ago at night I called a pair of coyotes into about 300 yards.  They sat down and watched the show for 20 minutes occaisionally standing up and pacing back and forth and yes, down wind.  I threw every play in the book at them and they simply would not cross that field.  I was not comfortable with that shot at night with the 204 even though the gun is capable.  I could not afford a wounded runner due to the location.  This stand haunts me to this day.  I would love to have another crack at them but I have never seen them there again.  May have been different with night vision.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 08:00:33 PM »
That was an enjoyable video.. I think back to a few years ago that I had a few coyotes that did that.. There I was shooting free hand at coyotes at 100 yards...The shots turned out to be negative for me.. Just a story in my memory banks.. Now with the new lights and the outstanding shooting rest things would have been different...However I'm finding that for me  it's better to hunt with at most 2 people (Me one of them)..I start taking the 3rd or the 4Th with me on the stands. I still call in the coyotes.. However making the 3rd and 4Th person do what they are suppose to do turns it all negative..  I have learned that my best hunting partner right now is my son... He just understands what we have to accomplish.. I use to hunt with my wind at my back for years... I was setting myself up for automatic failure...   I go to Texas hunt with two friends there called Mac/Prowler and come back and started calling in all kinds of predators from the up wind side..I now hunt with the wind in my face but calling and speaker pointed up wind.  Now I'm getting fox and coyotes to have to work to find out if I'm the real McCoy... I do like to hunt alone to at times.. I always keep my light on my gun on at all times and only turn my scanning light off when I'm going to shoot and look down the barrel find the predator and fire.. Getting to be a better rifle shot now then a shotgunner.  However there are times with the coverage or farm I do use the shotgun.. BUT....I still even with the shotgun hunt now with the wind in my face or at the least cross wind. Never with the wind at my back...To date... I have called in 108 coyotes in Pa...However wow if I would have killed 108 then I would have something to be proud of..  Hope you see some of the wisdom in this post...   

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 08:25:03 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) Thanx QUATTRO... an interesting listing :) :) :) :)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:37:16 PM »
Yea Tim them Type of stands haunt you for a long time. When Mosquito Creek first started up I was hunting coyotes and the same thing happened to me with a single coyote he pace back and forth for 10 minutes it seemed like and at about 300 yards. Today that coyote would have died.  I had a pair of shooting sticks and it just was not going to happen. Everytime I Drive by that spot I remember it clearly.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:37:57 PM by Buckwheat »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 09:53:31 PM »
That night  vision  equipment had to be some good stuff.
I looked through night vision equipment and it was what jegger pro used to shoot hogs. I just have never been sold on it after looking through it. But this video looks even better then what I was looking with. Still have to remember you have to hide because they can see you just as well as you can see them with night vision.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 09:55:25 PM »
When I was in Georgia at the calling contest there was a game warden that was shot by a person using night vision. So I'm sure that a lot of the images you get are not as clear as what you just saw.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:16:47 PM by Buckwheat »

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 09:53:52 AM »
Buckwheat, I hunt mainly during daylight hours.
I have to hide. They can see me.
Day or night hunts, movement is a cause to spook 'em when they are approaching. My favorite camo is snow camo, on snow. I've spooked Fox and Coyote with the my movements with snow cammys and snow.
What I am getting at...unnatural movement blows 'em to the next township.
I think the above night video has the gun/camera set up on a tripod (maybe Buckwheat's tripod)  because there is very little movement and no extra movement and only slight adjustments. Neat to watch.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 03:06:11 PM »
Hern
In day time you have good vision and not much movement. At night time you have to look through night vision equipment to see. Causes a lot more movement and nothing to hide behind.
There is some good stuff for night hunting for sure but I will stick to lights. Never had a problem. I would  mess with and just play around with it but not that interested in it here in pa.
In the plans states it might be great.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle