Author Topic: Shroon Mister  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Shroon Mister
« on: May 03, 2015, 04:32:24 PM »
 :o :o :o :o Where is the shroon mister (UB)??? He has some fancy ways to cook up/pickle shroons  ;) ;) ;) ;) and he must be out gathering early getting the tender ones  :o :o :o :o :o :o I saw on craigslist some guy is selling morels for $70 per gallon  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:33:27 PM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Shroon Mister
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:29:57 PM »
We have 2 spots on our property where I find Morels. Been looking the past 4 days. Nothing. A bit too early in my area.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 05:48:15 AM »
 :( :( :( :( Goose  :( :( :( :( :(  I think the "Meister" might be washing the shroons down with homemade, ;) Mayapple wine  :P and the keys are a little blurry  :o :o.......... 8)

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »
You need to get out there... The Golden Chanterelles are up,  The Cinnabar Chanterelles,  Golden Trumpets,  Red Sullus Boletes.. Chicken Fat Sullus Boletes and Chicken Mushrooms..  I going to be making some Chicken Fried Mushrooms.. You cook the chicken mushrooms just like Southern Fried chicken... Recipe has some hot sauce in it... Looking at it you would think it's fried chicken but it's coated Chicken Mushroom

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 11:43:10 PM »
Here is what those Golden Trumpets look like..

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 11:46:21 PM »
Here is what the chicken mushroom look like:  See real easy to ID: 

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 11:48:35 PM »
Here is what the Cinnabar Chanterelles look like: 

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 11:52:30 PM »
Here is what a Golden Chanterelle  looks like.. Notice the gills.. These grow on the forest floor not on wood..

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 07:43:12 PM »
here is the recipe for that Southern Fried Chicken Mushroom...

eatingappalachia.com

About

Recipe Index

Gluten-Free Recipe Index

Restaurant Reviews

Southern Fried Chicken of the Woods

Posted by Jes on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 · 21 Comments

Last Saturday I had the immense pleasure of going to the Grandin market for the first time since the last weekend of October–and let me tell you, it was good to be back!  After catching up with farmers and producers I hadn’t seen in months, I finally settled on buying a bunch of new herbs & vegetables to plant in the garden (lemon balm, sage, tons of basil, spaghetti squash, etc.) along with some lettuce and fresh sweet cherries.  One of my favorite scores, though, was finding the chicken of the woods mushrooms again!  Oh, how I’ve missed these strange, chickeny fungi.

The last couple of times I had them I simply braised or seared them, but this time I decided to go out on a limb–a highly sacrilegious limb, or so it felt. You see, the mushrooms are always my most expensive purchase–$5 for about two servings (although I stretch it out)–and while that’s all relative, the thought of deep frying such expensive delicacies seemed wrong.

A couple of weeks ago I spent the evening chatting with the man who holds the title of the largest morel found in Iowa. This guy hunts up morels so often that he deep fries them. I gave him hell for that–I mean, why on earth would anyone deep fry a morel?! It’s just wrong! I’ve only had the chance to eat them twice in my life and this man deep fries them?? Well…I deep fried my chicken of the woods and holy mother of mary they were awesome. The batter was just like the fried chicken I grew up eating at church picnics (cheesy but true) and the mushroom still, I honestly swear, tastes like and has the texture of chicken. It’s uncanny. Sacrilegious or no, these fungi are wicked good.

Southern Fried Chicken of the Woods
2 large chicken of the woods mushrooms
 1/4 c En-Er-G Egg Replacer
 1/2 c water
 3 tbs siracha/hot sauce
 1 c self-rising flour
 1 tsp salt
 1 tsp pepper
 vegetable oil for frying

Thoroughly wash and clean the mushrooms and cut into desired size.

Whisk together the egg replacer and the water in a bowl until foamy and thick. Add the siracha/hot sauce.

In a pie pan or 8×8 baking dish, mix together the self-rising flour, salt, and pepper.

Warm at least 3 inches of vegetable in a pot (I used my circa 1973 Fry Daddy) until a drop of water crackles and pops when flicked into the oil.

Dredge the mushrooms in the egg replacer mixture and then in the flour, thoroughly coating each piece.

Fry two or three mushroom pieces at a time, being sure not to crowd because that will lower the temperature of the oil.

Once golden brown, place on paper towels to drain excess oil.

Serves 2

Category: Food · Tags:

Comments
21 Responses to “Southern Fried Chicken of the Woods”

Vic (the Life) says:   

May 25, 2010 at 7:45 pm   

There is NOTHING wrong about those mushrooms! :) I am so jealous of the plants you are able to grow!

Amanda says:   

May 25, 2010 at 8:58 pm   

I have only had these mushrooms once but I remember them being so believable as chicken that I had to ask twice in the restaurant to make sure that they weren’t. So I totally believe that these taste like fried chicken! What a great idea.

a-k says:   

May 25, 2010 at 9:15 pm   

I still need to get my hands on these! I don’t think it’s bad to deep-fry them… you only live once, right? ;-)

Becky says:   

May 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm   

oh my goodness, this looks out of control!

Becky says:   

May 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm   

…you know, in a good way!

feerlessfood says:   

May 26, 2010 at 12:44 am   

That looks so good! I could really go for some fried chicken…

The Voracious Vegan says:   

May 26, 2010 at 3:30 am   

I have never had those kind of mushrooms but I’ve always heard they are incredible. You prepared them so beautifully, the texture looks light and crisp and oh so delicious. YUMM!

Kiersten says:   

May 26, 2010 at 6:59 am   

I applaud your creativity! I never had that kind of mushroom before, but have heard they are delicious (at $5 for 2 servings they better be!). I bet they were better than real fried chicken!

Mihl says:   

May 26, 2010 at 10:50 am   

Apparently these mushrooms grow over here. I’ve never seen them in a shop though. I need to go mushroom hunting this fall. Your recipe sounds awesome.

BitterSweet says:   

May 26, 2010 at 2:32 pm   

This is so cool! I’ve never been lucky enough to find these mushrooms myself, but they sound so delicious and versatile… I hope I can get my hands on them some day!

David T. Macknet says:   

May 26, 2010 at 2:57 pm   

Wonder if I could do this with portobello mushrooms….

Sounds yummy!

sensiblecooking says:   

May 26, 2010 at 5:22 pm   

First of all southern fired chicken of the wood looks great and reading it made me crave for it. Sad thing is here we will have to wait till July for farmers market to start.

jessy says:   

May 26, 2010 at 5:25 pm   

i have totally gotta find those mushies, Jes. deep frying them sounds crazy & awesome! oooh, yay! i looooove that you’ve got sriracha in this as well. did you say you found sweet cherries? now i’ve gotta find cherries, too. i haven’t had fresh ones in forever…. man, i loooove them so much & could totally see making some into a pie with your gluten-free crust recipe. happyanddeliciousface!

not too sure what’s going on this weekend here. i’ve got a 5K run on saturday, but i think with the long weekend ahead most richmonders will be headed down to the river for sunbathing on the rocks & swimming and such. w00t!

renae says:   

May 26, 2010 at 5:51 pm   

Believe it or not, I’ve actually put aside my seething hatred of mushrooms and looked for these chickeny things based on your posts about them. I might actually be able to choke them down if they were deep fried – this looks and sounds delicious. I don’t know if I want to find them or not!

Barbara says:   

June 3, 2010 at 10:09 am   

I was just talking about these mushrooms with friends, Jes. Your recipe sounds perfect for them.

Kathy says:   

September 22, 2012 at 12:02 pm   

Just made this recipe and served it with our favorite wing sauce. Outstanding!

Vera says:   

September 27, 2012 at 6:35 pm   

I love love chicken of the woods. And I’m glad I found this recipe after imagining pretty much the same dish! Finally found them this year after years of searching. Just a note to chicken of the woods newbies – 1 in 10 people is very allergic to them! as in, barfing all night long allergic. Tread with caution!

Wen Thornton says:   

October 14, 2012 at 6:14 pm   

Just tried them for the first time today. Mine were fresh and had a lemony chicken flavor and texture. Only ate about six french fry size pieces in case of an allergic reaction. It’s been 3 hours and none thank God. I love these things. I am looking forward to trying your recipe sounds scrumptious. I found mine it’s probably about three or four pounds. I found one hunting last year had to be four or five times larger than this one but I didn’t know it was safe to eat much less delicious. Thank You.

Rachel says:   

June 8, 2014 at 6:47 pm   

Aw, I had found plenty of these growing wild in my woods, I was hoping I could sell them for a decent profit… all I see are recipes and different ways to cook them :-\ guess I’ll leave them be unless I get curious about cooking them,

Diana says:   

October 14, 2014 at 4:35 pm   

This was INCREDIBLE!!! We came across some of these mushrooms last week at our local co-op and had to try them… We didn’t know how to best prepare them, so when I found your recipe, I knew it was our answer! Can’t believe how much this tasted like fried chicken – and it’s way better, in my opinion! Really want to get more of these!! Thanks for an awesome recipe! :)

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...

Recipes Gone Wild: Drunken Chicken of the Woods | Greenpointers says:   

August 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm   

[…] know what to do with? Here are a couple of other fun ideas I found on the interweb: Chicken Salad Southern-Fried Chicken of the Woods Baked Chicken of the Woods with Capellini and […]

Leave A Comment

Name (required)

Mail (will not be published) (required)

Website

Notify me of follow-up comments by email.

Notify me of new posts by email.

Social Appalachia

link link link link

Professional Work
JG Logo Creative

Virginia is for Bloggers

Copyright 2015 eatingappalachia.com · RSS Feed · Log in

The Structure Theme v3 by Organic Themes · WordPress Hosting

Organic Themes   

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 07:11:12 PM »
UB, have you gotten into the Vodka soaked ones ( Golden Chanterelle) this year yet?  :o :o :o or are you saving them for the Holidays?  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 07:52:49 PM »
UB, have you gotten into the Vodka soaked ones ( Golden Chanterelle) this year yet?  :o :o :o or are you saving them for the Holidays?  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
     Did I ever ?  I made two batches of it up... One with Smirnoff vodka and one with a Texas Vodka made in of all places Dallas, Texas.   I asked the state store associate what was the best smooth vodka? The Texas one and he was sure right!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:53:14 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 08:01:58 PM »

SHROOM VODKA AGING FOR A 3 WEEK PERIOD...   Lemon, Red Hot Fresh Peppers, Caraway Seed, and Chanterelle Mushrooms...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:04:42 PM by uncle buck »