Author Topic: Pennsylvania gaining permission to hunt could be like pulling teeth.  (Read 2452 times)

uncle buck

Pennsylvania...Melting pot of personalties... However something how just 100 miles of distance from point A to Point B make you think your dealing with a different race of people? You try to figure it out? Is it ethnic thing? Do some groups of ethnic people are they more givers than takers?

Born and raised in Wilkes Barre it was never hard at all to stop at a landowners house in what is Luzerne county an ask permission to hunt. They would be pleasant and they would say with a big smile YES!

Now you take South Central Pa... Cumberland county... it just doesn't work out that way... I have been hunting on farms now for  29 years.. Quite loyal to me on my predator hunting, chuck hunting, shrooming, shooting the gun on their property. However you ask them to hunt deer or to fish and you will get a big NO!!!!!!
I have notice however over the years how people in certain areas are nicer then other areas of the state...You take the people from Pittsburgh... Wow If I had to live in a big town it would be Pittsburgh!  I like those people big time when I visit out there.. Nice and you can talk to them about everything while in a shopping line.. have a bottle of Berkley's Power Bait and your talking with the person in front of you how great it is for trout!  Sadly.....Harrisburg is just not like Pittsburgh.. Nor is Philadelphia...
you take out of state.. Some of my best friends ever are from Texas.. However they told me that it' best that if we were to hunt not to even go up to the door and ask to hunt because of my Yankee twang.. However I have been in car dealers down there waiting and just talking to Texas women and such in the waiting room and they were going to allow me to hunt wild hogs on their ranch...
Over my 29 years I actually got permission to hunt deer on a few of the Cumberland County properties. however it was almost like it took 23 plus years for them to finally decide to say YES> I still have a few properties that they will say NO DER HUNTING BUT YOU CAN HUNT  PREDATORS< CHUCKS< SMALL GAME>  make you feel like they think your trying to take something from them.
while in Virginia I got to talking to a Mennonite farmer around Harrisonburg.. Pleasant person but he told me that it would be so hard to get permission for a Yankee to hunt there as soon as I opened my mouth.. he said that because I was a Northerner they would not trust me.. LOL
what is your feeling from the different quadrants of our great commonwealth of Pa as far as how people feel when you walk up to a door and knock and ask to hunt... I know one thing the town o Brotherly Love is the wrong word for that quadrant of Pa.  I had to work with many a Philadelphia when I worked for Uncle.. they were real hard to get along with..
So what is the syndrome that causes quadrants of people in Pa to act different then their relatives that live just  100 miles up the road?  don't get me wrong I do find some real nice and friendly people in that areas that say NO too. But just seems there is some kind of consensus like you trying to take something from them and they just won't allow it..
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:56:49 AM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

Re: Pennsylvania gaining permission to hunt could be like pulling teeth.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 09:59:36 AM »
Actually I have noticed this for years even in the churches in Cumberland county... Most people just seem distant from the congregation... I have been going to church in Va and wow they want me to move there. they want to find me a job there. Yes take me back to ole Virginie!!!

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »
We don't have that problem out here, permission is granted by law, you need not ask. If a property owner doesn't want you on his property they must post it.  Not sure but I think it must be posted every hundred yards and be at least four feet off the ground.  Many times while driving around I see a spot I would like to call and I just pull over, crawl under the fence and start calling.  We have found that most private land that is posted was recently purchased by easterners.  Why that is I don't know I guess it's just an attitude - it's mine and I don't want you on it.  Folks from back east have a hard time adjusting to our way of life.  We are one of the most gun friendly states.  Open carry and no permit/class needed to carry concealed, nor do we need permission from the local sheriff to buy a gun.  Once while standing in a checkout line I heard the lady behind us whisper to her husband "he has a gun, he's going to rob this store."  I turned, smiled and winked at her and said, "shhh, don't tell anybody else".  Thought she was going to have a heart attack. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 01:11:41 PM by coyotejohn »
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 02:56:01 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D CJ I thought you were gonna say she wet herself  :o :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Deadeye

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 04:57:43 PM »
I bet she did.....right before the heart attack  ;)
Ron
Lancaster Co.