Author Topic: All these years and I'm finally getting into Spring Gobbler hunting  (Read 2176 times)

uncle buck

What an exciting last Gobbler season.. I actually called in a few gobblers with various calls and my mouth. My shooter actually got to shoot at one too.. However wow what eye sight they have?????

Learning that deep woods hunting was negative for me to put the bead on a wise gobbler. he circled around me and came in from the top of me in the field.. We were talking back and forth but he wouldn't come down into the woods where I was posted.. He and I talked to each other for a good  20 min.. As soon as I did turn to get the bead on him he actually saw me. LOL LOL and he was airborne before I could pull the trigger. Hey it sure was exciting... This year I'm going to call from the heavy cover but will be looking for an open shot in the clearings or in the field.. Probably going to use my blind this year too instead of just sitting up against a tree..

Do you turkey hunters hunt in the deep woods or do you set up where there is a clearing for them to walk out in to take your shot?

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: All these years and I'm finally getting into Spring Gobbler hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 05:52:06 PM »
If I know where they are roosting then I try to be about 100yds or so away to where I believe they will fly down too. If I don't know where they are I'll wait til they sound off the cut the distance and set up at the best location. Sometimes the birds are silent and you just need to set up throw out a hen decoy and make her sound lonely, then wait a while to see if mr Tom shows looking for some love.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Deadeye

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: All these years and I'm finally getting into Spring Gobbler hunting
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »
A few years ago I was spring turkey hunting and knew where the flock had roosted. I tried to sneak to within 100 yds. and I bumped them off the roost. Now I try to get no closer than about 150 yds. So far has work out fairly good. That is what works for me...... you will have to see what works for you..... Good Luck
Ron
Lancaster Co.