Author Topic: different lights  (Read 6730 times)

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
different lights
« on: February 27, 2015, 01:09:04 PM »
Hi guys new to this . I have managed to call in 3 bobcats this year and one gray. Only shot one cat as we only had one tag.did kill the gray also. was wondering thoughts on scanning with red light and shooting with green
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:02:21 PM by nepahunter17 »
Due to price increase in ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,there will be no warning shots

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: different lights
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 02:36:37 PM »
I personally use red to scan and red to shoot.
I don't believe there is a right or a wrong answer for which lights to use.
Some guys use a white light or even yellow light to scan and shoot with.
If red to scan and green to shoot works for you then keep on doing it
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline HDRoadking3058

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 02:42:47 PM »
Yep I go Red and Red also... But before all this technology the "old timers" used white and white!!!!!!
Tim
Westmoreland County
District 6

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 02:47:42 PM »
I use red to scan and red to shoot.  Not sure if switching colors would "alert" the predators or not.  The belief is they can't see either color.....but I'm not a predator!!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 04:08:53 PM »
Thanks for the info

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 04:17:05 PM »
i would make sure that your eyes can adjust to the different lights.   

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 04:56:37 PM »
Scott  that's a good point!  I hunted with a guy who used green light and I used red.  It took my night vision a while to adjust after looking at his green light.  I actually started to get a headache from looking at the green light after my eyes had adjusted to my red light.
Jake
York, PA

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 05:41:59 PM »
I had red and green LEDs to start..a green module was in the light from the factory so that is what I started hunting with..I changed to red part way through that season and in my opinion not only did my eyes fatigue less but it also seemed the animals I called were less wary when hit with red...I used red from then on..I do seem to recall hearing that the green LEDs had a longer burn time and battery life was longer than that of red..and I vaguely think that was my experience too..I just experiment with different gear. Congrats on the grey and the cat..
PPHA President

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 07:23:54 PM »
Thanks for all the insight been reading a lot about ew s lights on here where can I get one of his shooting lights ?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 07:48:17 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:55:43 PM by Misterjake23 »
Jake
York, PA

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 08:33:03 PM »
Best to use Logic when selecting a light color.  When I was out at sea at night in Coast Guard we used a red light on the bridge of the cutter to read the maps, charts, and just to plain see better..  So the red lights going to be better on your eyes and the eyes of the people you shine on by mistake... It also made us stealth to other vessels if we desired.. You turn that white light on the bridge and we were all squinting.. Plus they could see you for miles on the horizon with the white light on the bridge.

I do have a 250 and a 100 Green Killlight.. I carry that to use if I down a animal and need a bit more light to try to find it..

I do think on a full moon night you just might get away with using a green shooting light since everything is lit up a bit more in the field..

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
Did  anyone on here ever use this light to hunt predators?  Basspro has them for about $129.00.  I picked it up and was looking at it.. By the way it's legal in Pa to use this particular one.. However since I have had negative results using the  100 and the 250 green Killight in Pa I don't even want to  venture here and possibly waste money on this light..

http://www.lasergenetics.com/nd1.aspx

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 08:44:51 PM »
Here is the green lights logic about the human eye... I don't believe this.. Maybe for us to be able to see better at night but  it may also mean the animals can see better to us using the green light... I stick with the Carnivore 2 RED... Just like that shooting set up. and you can kill things at  200 yards if your rifle is sighted in and is the appropriate caliber for the wind conditions..

Here is their reasoning... Remember they just want you to buy their light too...It's not only for us to see better but we use red to hide behind too...That's the important when calling to.. Not to allow the coyote to see you.. 

http://www.lasergenetics.com/Why-Green-Light.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:46:27 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 08:50:09 PM »
I quickly read the chart they have on the ND1 light... Ya your going to see better with the green light but you will scare them away!!!The red is your shield to hide behind.. You won't even have a chance to shoot a Pa coyote if you hit then with the green  on a dark dark night...Gone!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:50:51 PM by uncle buck »

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 08:51:18 PM »
Think I am going with the light on ew's sight when work picks back up laid off right now thanks again