Author Topic: Logic use it and your call ins will increase  (Read 5839 times)

uncle buck

Logic use it and your call ins will increase
« on: February 19, 2015, 05:14:09 PM »
the coyote a  mammal and so are we... What impacts us impact the coyote the mammal too..We like food, we like sex, we like to protect our turf. we like to hang out with other mammals. We also are curious.  So when calling to stimulate that response in their brain use sounds that do that.. Nothing like periods of silence to stimulate a coyotes curiosity of "What is the coyote that just entered my area up to?" The turf thing prevails there too... wind... Just like us we want to get out of the wind.. So does the coyote.. .He or she will be on the leeward side of the hill where the other prey animals are too...So call with the wind at your back then..toward the  top of the hill.. the wind break (Leeward) on the other side is where the prey and coyotes are..just say if the  wind is up to 15 MPH +.. The coyote the mamal is staying out of the cold wind just like you want too..
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:17:28 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

Re: Logic use it and your call ins will increase
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:19:27 PM »
Use sounds that carry too in heavy winds... woodpecker, jackrabbits. remember once that wind reaches the coyote they probably won't smell you then...

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:28:29 AM »
Great sound knowledge !!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 11:57:20 AM »
Mammals..  we are mammals predators are mammals.. ever notice how our breath when it enters the cold air causes steam.. I sometimes use that to determind wind direction.  However that not the jest of this post.

When your calling in the daytime and it's cold... Watch for things like that from incoming predators..I was in my early days of calling in NEPA Wyoming Valley... It was near Plains Township near Valley Dam watershed.. I was calling in a powerline that is about 100 yards down from the dam... I look up on the power line about 80 yards away and I can see a rock with a pie size den hole.. What ever was in that hole the warm breath and the cold morning gave away it's position... A Greene (About 1988) I just never thought of seeing if I could lure that out of it's den... The way the warm vapor was shooting out of the hole I probably called it in on the run.. It might have saw me and scooted down the hole... The critters breath hitting the cold gave it's presence away..  Many of us don't call during the daytime but we should always be on alert for things the critter the mammal do in the cold like we do... Because of the terrain I was calling in I'm thinking now it was either a gray fox or a bobcat..
As a boy in the same area my dad was dropping me off in the Valley Dam area to hunt small game.. As we approached the area we saw a large racked buck turn away from the side of the road and raun toward the the woods.. out of it's nose and mouth shot that hot vapor that showed .  Yep he too was a mammal like us. I guess my point is when calling ... Sometime you will see the vapor on the horizon even before you see an animal on cold cold cold cold daytime calling..  We be warm blooded creatures just like the predators we hunt..
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:03:40 PM by uncle buck »

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
UB said:  Many of us don't call during the daytime 

Why is that?  Although nigh time hunting is allowed out here I have never done so nor do most of my friends.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:37:37 PM by coyotejohn »
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 03:45:17 PM »
Wyoming Valley...Plains Township...The way the warm vapor was shooting out of the hole
Probably heat escaping from an abandoned Coal Mine in that area ;D.
Logic.

Many of us don't call during the daytime
You are really missing out on day time calling UB. It's been prime time for winter day time calling the past 7 weeks. Fact not logic. The constant snow pack, harsh conditions, breeding & pairing up has been to hunters advantage.
UB, You mentioned before that you like to hunt with a full moon on snow. Daytime calling is similar, but no lights required meaning less equipment. One has to be stealthy for sure, know how to get to your stand quietly and so on.
I won't be surprised if you or your party kill a Coyote today or tomorrow while you hunt the Coyote Contest.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:47:28 PM by Hern »

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 01:47:15 PM »
Hern should have lit a match and held it on the vapor to see if it would ignite. Better yet take my gloveless hand and reach down that hole see if I could feel for fur.

Hern I Did call in a coyote for the group me included  (3) it was missed. 40 yard  shot with  a 10 Gauge NEF using Deadcoyote T shot. Bad weather setting in today MC hunt appears to be over for 2015.

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »
I do hunt in the daytime at times. I hunted from 2 PM  until  dark yesterday myself for coyotes.  Returned and hunted with group at late night until 7:00 AM today. They had to work day shift on Friday.

I like to do my serious Pa coyote hunting after 11:00 PM!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 06:33:08 PM »
Bad weather setting in today MC hunt appears to be over for 2015.
That sounds logical.
Hope you have better weather for the next contest.

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 10:43:08 PM »
Yes say you were going to go after someone that was in a field... You really wouldn't run right down the field right at him.. You would probably circle him and flank him from the sides to get the jump on him.. Watch how coyotes do this to you.. You have to be fast.. They only will show themselves on your far left and or far right for about 20 seconds... hence why the Carnivore 2 light is such an asset now.. The old lights were you had to check to see if they were a deer is all they need when they hit your flank to know the dying rabbit really wasn't a dying rabbit or a pup in distress or another coyote howling.. You got to see them ASAP to confirm they are not deer and your window is real short...