Author Topic: Shooting rests  (Read 7062 times)

Offline Outdoors_man

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: Shooting rests
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 10:55:30 AM »
Am I the only one that uses a rifle sling? (military type)

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 12:01:14 PM »
I use a sling.   It's adjustable
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 09:01:16 PM »
Ive been useing the StoneyPoint with the pivot...works great and i carry on my pack...Rusty
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 10:44:07 PM »
If you  guys can steady a shot standing using a sling good for you...IMO I stand when I hunt at night and hold my rifle in a shooting tripod... As I call I can see 500-700 yards out into a field and see the predator coming in and most times get ready for a shot... Now just sit down and say your hunting where there is stubble corn.  How far do you think you can see a predator coming in sitting down.. rifle in your sling position using a mouth call all at the same time. I'm just not that good of a shot to use a sling and more power to you if your good like that... Harris bipod..  that's for wood chuck hunting or you can use it if you can set up on the side of a hill looking down into the farmers field.. However. I don't walk in deep because I don't want to scare anything away... I just get legal and call 99 % of the times..

Offline Outdoors_man

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »
UB,  You see them coming from 500 - 700 yards but at what range do you shoot?  When I stand, I cradle the rifle, hands are free (although I mostly use electronic call w/ remote) Tried a Harris bipod once off the bench but didn't like the way it bounced on recoil.  Woodchucks, sling all the way...Range depends on position.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 09:09:08 PM »
     Perhaps I misunderstood your question....I use a sling, but only to carry my rifle in and out of the woods.  For shooting purposes, I never shoot freehand, I always use the Tri X.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

uncle buck

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 10:41:14 PM »
UB,  You see them coming from 500 - 700 yards but at what range do you shoot?  When I stand, I cradle the rifle, hands are free (although I mostly use electronic call w/ remote) Tried a Harris bipod once off the bench but didn't like the way it bounced on recoil.  Woodchucks, sling all the way...Range depends on position.

We start to shoot at 100 yards.. Actually rifles are now all sighted in for  zero at 100 yards. No matter what they are.. Playing that sighting them in for 2 inches high at  200 yards made me miss many a critter... even the  22 WMR are sighted in for  100 yards.. I actually have killed fox at about  125 yards with the  22WMR but missed them 20 yards in front of me with the same gun.. So we get a bit nervous once they even start to come in closer then where we have the rifles shot in for.. Just remember for night shooting how far you can see standing compared to sitting!  Now if you were on the side of a hill looking down you could sit.. however for me to walk up to that side of the hill to post I probably scare many a critter away that I actually called in my staying just legal..