Author Topic: Shooting rests  (Read 7061 times)

Offline HDRoadking3058

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Shooting rests
« on: January 22, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »
What does everyone use for a rifle rest when calling/hunting. I was looking at Caldwell's deadshot field pod, 5.5 lbs. not sure if I wanna lug it. Anyone else have one?
Tim
Westmoreland County
District 6

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Shooting rests
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »
I don't use anything. A lot of guys use tripods or something similar to what you are looking at. I don't like lugging extra gear and my areas don't call for long shots,  so I don't worry too much about having a rock solid rest.
District 5 coordinator

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 12:14:03 PM »
We shoot off the Tri-X Stand that Buckwheat sells and its amazing to say the least. It cuts down on movement and your gun is always ready and rock solid. I used the Caldwell tri pod this summer and it didnt hold the gun as tight as i would have liked but it was good enough that my 8 yr old was killing ghogs at well over 200 yds.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »
I was using a Harris bipod but it would get caught up when I had to move. I switched to a hs shooting sticks but after one night with the crunchy snow I ditched them. Maybe when the snows gone I will go back to the sticks but will never go back to the bipod for calling.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »
I've used the Caldwell shooting rests (Both the large one and the small one)  They are very cumbersome to shoot from.  They have too many adjustments in order to move your gun.  The smaller one is nice for sitting but not very stable.  A good wind can blow your gun over - literally !

I use the Tri X sold by Ernie Wilson (EWCalls).  I literally won't hunt without it.  I bought it to predator hunt but use it for ground hogs deer and even sighting in my rifle.  It's that stable.  You get what you pay for.  I wish I had the money back I spent on the Caldwell's and shooting sticks!!!! 
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 06:49:12 PM »
I agree with BigCat....bipod for groundhogs?  Yes    Predator calling?  No

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 11:47:02 AM »
I have the TriX. Best predator hunting purchase I made to date. My kills went up!
 My sons kills sent up!
I have the Magnum Caldwell also. It's ok. Wow watch your fingers where legs meet rest. Pinch is real bad there!  Looks i looked at the sitting model of Caldwell that be junk!
I also have the Primos tripod standing rest. OK but I added a better shooting platform offered by the company that makes the ammo boxes. M & M PLASTICS. Rifle sets nice in that holder. I removed the V.
BOG ok as long as you leave the V on. The BIG  holder will make you lose predators.  :( you have to adjust elevation by playing with leg before you shoot! :(
stick with the Wilson TriX! If you can afford it.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 04:26:44 PM »
+ 1 Uncle Buck
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Tikka

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 07:56:10 AM »
I've been using the "BOG" tripod sticks. They pack easily and adjust easily for sitting or standing shots. Since my backpack goes with me every time I take a gun for a walk I always have them.

Just my two cents worth.

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 02:35:27 PM »
Pro and Con when it comes to the BOG... Truly an outstanding shooting stick when using the crossbow and sitting.. .Again we use the Y only when we do use this rest... Probably same for rifling to when sitting...Also a good rest when deer hunting taking sitting shots...My only problem with the BOG is when you use that rifle holder and you have to adjust your leg to raise and lower your shot..  While doing that you doing movement and especially for coyotes they are gone.. I have taken people night hunting and because we were cramped for equipment I allowed them to take the BOG. Again the Y was used not the shooting platform...At least with the Y you can use your rifle to shoot higher or lower just by adjust that shooting iron not the leg...

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 11:18:42 AM »
It's all relevant to how far I am walking.  90% of the time I use the Tri-X stand from Ernie and for real long walks or hikes I use the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bi-Pod.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 06:38:40 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D L4F...I guess it depends on how soon you set them up and start resting/ leaning on them and napping  :o :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 07:56:54 AM »
Yes, thats true.  I look forward to the day I can retire then my life will mirror yours.  Sitting at home talking about how much fun we use to have trapping and hunting.  Well it won't be all that bad, we can meet at a diner once every couple years and talk about it also. ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 08:20:46 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Young wipper-snappers!!! :o :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 12:22:12 AM »
Pagoose... that be funny about leaning on the rest and falling asleep... I  called in 4 different coyotes and about 300  fox for a hunter that I was hunting with for 3 years... He could never see the fox...I'd keep saying shoot! Shoot! Shoot!..Then I call in 4 different coyotes for him.. he shoots and after the 4th miss he told me that he went to the range and his 17 Fireball was shooting  18 inches  high at  100 yards... He was aiming for the head of the coyotes and kept shooting over their heads.. I would come home all upset about taking him. it so good that he didn't call me the last two years.. Ernie Wilson hunted with me one night with him and you should have heard Ernie Rip his auruuuuz for unsafe shotgun loading... The guy really needed to be corrected... I'd tell him are you sure that safety is on.. He would only check it after I said that to him...I kind of felt obligated to take this guy because he was one of my doctors at the time.. Complain when I'd get home to the Mrs... She even said to me.  "I Am So Glad I Didn"t Tell Him You'd Take Him!"  She made him come out of his office and ask me if he could go.. What a waste of 3 hunting season yet!! Anyway long story short.. I think the guy would set his gun in the BOG he had and zone out into another world..I look at it as 3 years of wasted predator hunting on my part... you should have seen the fox and coytoes I could of shot.. They were just standing there and there he is day dreaming... I actually was losing fur money... The last two years since I didn't take him at least I made some money..He calls I'll probably a be a nice guy and say> "HELL NO!" 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:46:20 AM by uncle buck »