Author Topic: Scents at setup  (Read 5425 times)

Offline HDRoadking3058

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Scents at setup
« on: January 13, 2015, 04:55:24 PM »
What scents do you use at fox set ups?
Tim
Westmoreland County
District 6

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Scents at setup
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »
None
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 08:22:19 PM »
None what so ever with cables... Just look at the terrain and ask yourself  now if I was a fox or coyote where would I run along the fields... remember they all have to drink water like us... I have tried bait for cables and it really didn't do anything... Just think of the domestic dog and how they travel down through a farm.  why I even line up a restraint with a tree line that is across the tracks from the tree line I'm putting the set along.. See they travel the edges of the tree lines. .come across the field and cross right in the middle of the other tree line.. If you look over from where you caught him you see that the tree line if it attached to the one you caught it going across in is like the Letter T.  Just think how critters travel....

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:10:17 PM »
HD   Were you referring to calling sets or trapping sets ??
Jake
York, PA

Offline HDRoadking3058

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 07:32:47 AM »
I was referring to calling set-ups.......
Tim
Westmoreland County
District 6

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 08:39:28 AM »
None...I want them to look for where the critter's sound is coming from, and work it, not smell something different... :o :o example; using rabbit distress and a skunk cover up??? Nah for me  :-\ :-\ :-\ Old Spice doesn't work either..... 8) 8) 8) 8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 11:06:33 AM »
Same answer...none
Jake
York, PA

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 03:39:28 PM »
I never used cover scent for Fox.
I have used a scent for Coyote calling. I would spray scent in the air, not on me.
I experimented with different odors for 13 years. I saw Coyotes stop in their tracks, adjust the face and nose to my odors. Some took time to decipher the odor, some stopped briefly and some didn't stop long enough for a shot.
Nowadays, the term for this method is called 'misting', a term I didn't hear about back then and didn't know western hunters used scents from time to time.
I don't rely on 'misting' for Coyotes, but in some setups it is the thing to do.
Goose, If I used Skunk essence for calling Coyote, our local Coyotes would get a whiff then stop with nose to the wind and ponder why Hern hung Skunk scent in the brush 10 yards from his setup.

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 07:55:10 PM »
I use to use cover scents but not anymore... I figure that they are going to bust you should they get down wind of you no matter what you have on your person... Funny about when you do get to talk about scents..  I have some secret stuff that I use that I actually had on my person and a shooter  when we harvested a 50 pound coyote by calling..  kind of stumbled on it. Like many on here that is kind of one area we won't tell people about what it is... so many hear what you say,    take and run with that kind of stuff, start a business and laugh all the way to the bank and not even blink that they stole it from some poor soul that just opened their yapper... LOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS.> There is scent that coyotes do like... I have actually played around with misting already too...that is suppose to confuse the coyote not bring him or her into your calling...Suppose to buy you time and make it hang around longer.. Kind of play with their sniffer a bit... Fox is use nothing.... Coyotes now that is a different story. If I have the recipe  me I'd use it.. Misting I'd do that to since I did get a black coyote to come down a trail at Herders Springs one time...Now that's another story...You got to be ready for those coyotes at all times!!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:59:21 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 09:07:28 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Hern..they know what stinks and what is suppose to stink  ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 05:44:00 AM »
 ;D Hey UB  ;D I once held a TSC clearance  :o I promise if you send me the "Secret Formula"along with the "Secret Red Fox Sound"...I will never divulge nor replicate,(except for my own use)nor use in the presence of other scoundrels found on here... ::) ::) ::) I am serious..I won't even share with "The Goose" even if he tries to ply me with Grilled cheese sandwiches  ;) ;)   I remember the last "5 finger Louie" who stole a secret off here..now living on a Yacht in Cancun   >:( >:( >:(...Your "Secret" is safe with me... :P :P :P :P............ Currently I never use scents per se...I just post, my associate, "Goose" with a ring of garlic bologna,cheese and crackers and they come pouring in to check him out I pop them...now there's a secret you can run with.... ;)......... 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 08:42:29 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D The garlic is fresh but the bologna is old and dry and the crackers the birds won't eat, gotta scrape the mold off the cheese too  :P :P :P :P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:43:07 AM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 03:41:11 PM »
Jaspr....I mailed that right off to you...oops!  Lost in the mail....your going to have to talk to your wife about why the U. S. Mail loses things that are important stuff but you keep getting all the health  sheeeeeeeeet because we are aging!!!! Pagoose is correct... You really don't want to play around with things that are not natural....However there are things out there that coyotes like to sniff that's for sure but "ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ACT NATURALLY!"

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »
Marcus that works for the patriot news sports section recently posted about mint flavor keeping field mice out of things.. even to the extent that he said to hang mint tea bags to keep those critters out of area... So see you start playing around with all kinds of mints to attract critters you could be scaring them away... Pepper Mint, Spearamint,  Now Doublemint ????/You never do see those two pretty twins in that Doublemint commercial anymore do ya? Do you realize that they probably have false teeth now and can't chew gum no more!!!!!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 03:56:43 PM »
 :( :( :( UB...those twins...here ya go! ??? ??? ??? those fantasies should be left alone ::) ::) ::) ::)...you are overly mature now  :P :P :P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:58:51 PM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member