Author Topic: Selling fur  (Read 7517 times)

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
Selling fur
« on: January 08, 2015, 10:02:51 AM »
I would like to know if there is anybody within district 3 that buys green skin fur? I also would like to know about handling do you freeze it laid out or rolled up? Can I have more than 1 together? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

uncle buck

Re: Selling fur
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »
Green do you mean just skinned?  Usually fur buyer will take it whole, skinned and stretched or just skinned.  I know  my fur guy will buy it in the Harrisburg area like I described and the Pa Predator Hunters around Wilkes Barre they sell it just skinned.. Do you mean that the fur is from last year????????? I know of one person that skins it and places it in the freezer and his fur buyer buys it..
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:50:40 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 06:15:29 AM »
UB-
In the round- means the whole animal, on the carcass, as is
Green- just the pelt, means only skun, no carcass, no flesh'n done
Finished- or put up means just that, pelt is skun, fleshed, boarded and dried.

so-so-
I don't know where Dist. 3 is.
But there are several local fur auctions around the state commencing today 1-10.
Today is in Berks County. Next Sunday fur sale in Montour County and so on.

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »
Thanks uncle buck & Hern I will Green skin no fleshing. District 3 is north central part of state I live in the Williamsport area. Sent new membership in yesterday looking forward to getting envolved as much as I can.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 04:40:06 PM »
I was at the Berks sale today....top Reds went for $33.00 (top trapper though)...avg. price was around $23.00....top money on all furs went to the trappers who put the work into the pelts....meaning finished...Top Possum went for $1.75 Bobcats (5 or 6) went for $53.00 Coyotes (4) went for $23.00 Rats were $4 or $5 mink in the $15.00 range just what I can remember.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »
Thanks for the update, Jaspr1.
How many buyers attended?
How many sellers?

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 05:15:54 AM »
I would say there were 8 buyers...and a bunch of sellers..lol...like 4 rows of tables the length of a basketball court loaded both sides of the table......it was full maybe 50-60 sellers. Possum trapper like me ,I was impressed with an older than me trapper, who had 28 mink...19 males and 9 females and a huge box of rats. lol I am wondering in your response to SO-SO you state the types  of fur.....do you think that for most people, me included, turning them in whole is the better option? I say this because guys like J. Johnson have a person who does their skinning and can do them 100X faster and correctly....so they don't have to worry that they are going to get fur with cuts and improperly done. Just wondering your thought...........as I stated top money went to the best finished fur...some of that stuff was wet (greasy) and some didn't brush them out, price reflected that...top trappers made more on their B lot than some made straight up. I only saw one guy refuse...he had a bunch of Reds and the top price he got offered was $15.00 and he didn't take it. I wasn't there for the whole time, stayed for about half....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:19:07 AM by jaspr1 »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 08:43:24 AM »
Jaspr1, you get more cash for put up fur. You know that.

.....do you think that for most people, me included, turning them in whole is the better option?

We all have our own agenda. I don't know your options. Why don't you put up fur? Some folks don't have place to put up fur, some folks wife doesn't want critters hanging around, some folks never learn the skill of skun'n and so on.
Bottom line, for me, trapping and calling predators is hard work. To get the most from fur, I put them up. (I actually enjoy doing fur and seeing them hanging together, sorta the fruits of my labor)
I have no clue why you or others don't put up fur, I do understand some folks just can't or have a different agenda from me. And that's ok by me.
I have offer free skun'n and put up lessons for a few seasons to PPHA members. I haven't had one taker. I didn't post free lessons this season, but the offer is still open to all. (Bring your chit up here Jaspr...lol and I'll see if I can make it look pretty to sell ;D)
So if a guy doesn't do up his own fur, I don't care. But if a guy is willing to learn, I would certainly show him.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 10:26:55 AM »
 ;D Well several years ago I got rid of everything traps, stretchers,etc....sold some..gave some to a young kid starting out...never thought I would go again.... ???  Started hanging with my friend "G. McT" and he's all trapping 24/7  so I give him the critters cause he has the operation...LIKE YOU....equipment,great fur shed. He is always giving me something to experiment with, I live close to him  ;) so if I need anything I just call him.... ;D he is like you..If I called and said I need a Beaver trap...he goes to the Beaver trap section and brings out the 10 different types of Beaver traps cataloged there.  :o Then He explains everything and their pitfalls and then suggests  something....lol....if I lived close to YOU I would get the same deal... :P Don't make fun "pretty" sells...I saw it with my own 2 eyes....that's my story.....and since we are on this subject....I think you still ought to write a trapping book or do a video and I'm not alone on this....... 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 11:26:41 AM »
 ;) ;) ;) ;) A-men to the book!!! I'll buy several copies ;D ;D ;D...signed of course!! :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 12:33:39 PM »
....if I lived close to YOU I would get the same deal...
Nope.
Geeez, that poor soul of a friend you have. I would charge you or make you put up your own flea bitten fur in my shed. ;D

.....and since we are on this subject....I think you still ought to write a trapping book
Naw. I have nothing to sell.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
 ;D I'm giving him the fur  ;D I just get the exercise and the fun experimenting with set-ups  ;D and you should write or do a video...you have forgotten more stuff than most guys know... ;) You can start from when you were a papoose in a wigwam and your mother had you in camo diapers... :o......."The Goose" and I are in agreement here... :o...so that right there should tell you what a great idea it is.. ::)........ 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 03:17:59 PM »
 :o :o :o Thar you went and blew it mentioning my name  :P :P :P :P :P He's gonna charge you just to be able to talk to him... :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »
 :( :( :( Hey I saw the prices fur sold for at Dist 11.... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ I didn't even come close to making gas expenses if those prices hold when I sell ??? ??? ??? ??? fun but not cost effective this year for sure... :-X :-X :-X :-X
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:22:06 PM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 08:55:51 PM »
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”